JBL Northridge

Rick
What is the difference between S and N series?I'm looking to buy HT setup and i'm not sure which way to go. Any recomendations for a full setup?

timn8ter
Take a look at the full system review right by this posting. I can't say I'm surprised by the results. The big disappointment in the JBL system is the center channel. In HT the center channel plays a more important role than many people think. It can make or break a 5.1 system.

superfecta
The S has a better high range output,but its all relative.Some people like higher tonal range,some would say its too bright or shrill.Listen to each and decide for yourself.Northridge is good enuf for me,but I went for the eight inch towers instead of the small fronts.Helps a little in the midrange and midbass fullness,which I prefer.

timn8ter
Are you already sold on JBL? There are better choices in that price range. Better take a good look around. Another option is to get a very good front three combo and go lesser on the rears. Despite popular belief, most engineers still consider the rears existing just for ambience and concentrate mainly on the front. You should too.

Rick
I'm not sold on JBL at all, but thought good it was a good deal. What do you propose? I have 2 floor standing Infinity RS425 and two bookshelf Tannoy Eclipse, both great speakers but i'd like to build HT and was not sure would those fit. Planing to sell them.

timn8ter
Take a look at Atlantic Technology T-70 and the Energy TAKE 5+ for complete systems in the <$1000 price range.

timn8ter
As I mentioned earlier, the front is where the action is. It's important to have the front three speakers as similar as possible to provide smooth transition when the scene is moving from side to center to side. In my case, my mains use the same mid and tweet that the center does so as the sound moves across the front it doesn't change in character. This may help answer your question about using your existing speakers in HT.

I have the NSP-1 system and it's incredible! Very flat, very clean. You need a good sub, but the N-24s are very flat from 90 to 18,000Hz. Superlative home theatre speakers.

I'm finding it thrilling to have matched speakers all the way around. More and more films are making use of the surrounds, and DVD-Audio and DTS music discs demand matched speakers!

Rick
What Sub are you using? How much do you listen to the music? I do a lot of music, maybe 70% but don't demand best speakers out there. I have HK 325 and are looking to match something decent.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us