6 ohm replacement woofer...

Robert
I currently have an old pair of Boston Acoustics with 10 inch woofers. Both woofers have deteoriated paper cones, so I am going to replace them with polycone woofers. How much does the ohm on the replacement woofer matter. The current are 8ohm but would it hurt to replace them with 6 ohm woofers. If this does cause a problem, what would that problem be. Any help would be wonderful...

Thanks

Derek
The 6 ohm woofer would put a slightly heavier load on your amp. That's not such a bad thing as long as you are not running two pairs of front speakers. The 6 ohm woofer would also cause the woofer cross-over to move up 1/2 octave. This would cause the woofer's sound to slightly overlap the midrange's. Try www.partsexpress.com for replacement drivers.

Hope this helps.

Robert
Thanks for the help Derek

Now I have 2 sets of speakers, 1 pair of 3-way 8ohm and 1 pair of 2-way 8ohm. The 3-way speakers are the ones I am planning on replacing the woofers. I normally run just 1 set at a time but sometimes I run both. Now my reciever has an imped. selector on it. It can either run at (A or B 12ohm min: A+B 6ohm min) or (A or B 8ohm min: A+B 4ohm min). Will this heavier load you mentioned affect my reciever? Also, which selection would be better? Again I thank anyone who helps me with this. Thanks for your time...

Robert

Derek
You should be OK. Just set the receiver to A+B 4 ohm.

Robert
Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us