Question regarding vintage receivers and componants?

Username: Night_goat

Post Number: 2
I've got a new Pioneer Turntable with built-in pre-amp, a cd player and an Ipod. Most older receivers have phono, tape and aux. inputs. Am I going to be able to use my turntable, ipod and cd player on an older amp/receiver? Can you use anything other than a cassette deck in the tape inputs?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.}}

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11048

What's "older"?

You can plug lots of things into tape inputs. Turntables or refried beans are discouraged.

Username: Night_goat

Post Number: 3
"Older" would be defined as pre-1987. You know the units with phono, tape deck and auxilary options only. The days before cd players, dvds, ipods, etc.

Bronze Member
Username: Shawnharman

Post Number: 94
hell cd players date back to the mid 80's lol

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11050

Well, considering "ore -1987" covers a lot of time and a lot of product, you should be fine running your new sources into an older receiver. A turntable cannot be used through "tape in" without an external phono pre amp. Pre-1965 receivers might have an input labeled "tape head". Ignore this, there are presently no sources appropriate for this input.

Username: Aaron1960

Dayton, Kentucky USA

Post Number: 1
Feel free to use the aux or tape inputs with your newer digital items. You might be surprised by the quality of sound you'll get out of the "old" stuff.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8799
Jeff's tt has a built in preamp, as he said. This makes it much easier, of course.
Jeff, you can use jes'bout any receiver you want to.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us