Home Theater Under $1,500

Username: Ddc313

Post Number: 1
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some quick advice on what to get for a sub $1,500 home theater system. I would like to get a receiver, a good set of surround speakers, a projector, and possibly a DVD player. I would like it all to be HD, and am having trouble because some receivers by Onkyo support video and not audio through HDMI. I am somewhat looking at these items:

Harman Kardon AVR 146 - Receiver $299.99

Onkyo SKS-HT240 - Speakers (6.1 although receiver is 5.1, don't know what to do) $289.99

Oppo DV-980H - DVD player $169.99

Optoma HD70 - Projector $749.99 after rebate

In total this is about $1510, a little over my budget, but if it's real good 10 bucks more is not a big deal.

I would appreciate any insight on this.

Thanks a lot!
Doug

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 208
The H/K is a solid receiver... stick with 5.1, and forget about the Onkyo speakers. Maybe go with a package like this from Fluance:

http://fluance.com/fluan5speaks.html

I have nothing but good things to say about Fluance speakers.

Post Number: 2
Wow! Those are excellent speakers, I would have thought they were at least $500. They look like a great option, thanks!

Post Number: 3
What do you think of the Fluance AV-HTB? I was thinking of getting these and a separate subwoofer. Any ideas?

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 213
I would actually spend the extra hundred bucks and get the SX-HTB package. My buddy has them in his dedicated HT room, and they sound quite good.

Post Number: 4
Yes, that sounds like a good idea. I also have a few more questions I would appreciate if I could get some insight on:

First, how do the SX-HTB speakers sound with music?

Second, does anyone know if they come with all the required cables?

And third, does anyone have any ideas about how I can hook my receiver up to my computer keeping the highest quality sound?

Thanks,
Doug

Post Number: 5
Sorry, about my last posting, in the first question I meant movies instead of music.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 215
(1) I've only heard them while watching movies (in fact I own the center channel, which I use on my secondary HT system). I'm sure they sound quite good for music, there's lots of positive reviews out there for Fluance speakers...

(2) Probably not.

(3) http://www.obadimports.com/catalog/item/4377355/4344734.htm

Cheers.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5137
Good HT speakers on the cheap = Infinity Primus.

Buy a low cost Hsu sub.

You won't regret it!

Post Number: 9
Excellent, thanks for all the insight!

Appreciate it!
Doug
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us