Servicing a JVC AX-z1010

Username: Ben_burton

United Kingdom

Post Number: 1
Hiya,

I recently picked up this amp really cheaply (£80, plus he chucked in his tuner and CD player). Trouble is, although it sounds pretty fantastic, I know I'm not getting the best out of it, so was thinking about taking it apart and cleaning / servicing it.

Is this a really bad idea, and if so can you think of any better ways I could get more from this amp?

For what it's worth, I'm a trained and experienced IT Technician, so pretty handy with a screwdriver.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 201
Check out this thread:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/359458.html

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8132
Or not, Ben, that one went to heck in a hurry.
If you intend on opening the thing up, you should be prepared.
Firstly, let it bleed down the caps for a day or so, just so's you ain't getting a lift from one of them.
Secondly, a ground strap might be handy.
Thirdly(is that a term?) use your eyes to find problems, such as pet hair, a little POS and the like.
Use compressed air, like computer cleaner, for the guts, and de-oxit for all the terminals.
Tighten all speaker posts with the proper wrenches, no pliers.
Do not soak the thing in contact cleaner. Just the spots that you need to see/clean.
Use a toothbrush to clean the ic's and the surrounding areas.
Pay attention to the heat sinks. A small buildup there will badly affectthe sink's abilities to pick up heat and dissipate.
Have fun!

Username: Ben_burton

United Kingdom

Post Number: 2
Thanks,

And I'll be sure to get lots of photos (for the few people here that have never seen inside a 15 year old amp)

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8134
Most of us have, Ben.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us