Harman Kardon hk1400 early 90's classic?

Username: Tubeytubeamp

Post Number: 2
Has anyone had the pleasure to hear or own this amp? It's a little known (at least here in the US) 60 WPC line level amp without tone or balance controls and no heaphone jack.

It really sounds sweet. I picked one off ebay for $50!. They seem to be rare here in the US but were popular overseas in the early 90's.

I has the famous dynamic HK sound but with an increase in midrange and high frequency clarity from other HK products from that time period.

Dennis

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8140
No experiece with that series, but I sure wanna hear more about it!

Post Number: 3
Nuck,

Here is a review of the hk1200 the lower end model from the hk1400. Both look identical and the review is spot on from the findings. Note that the pic in the review is of the Marantz cd17.

http://202.186.86.35/audio/story.asp?file=/1996/3/03hk1200

Here is a pic from my Audiocircle gallery. The amp pictured isn't mine.

http://www.audiocircle.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1644&pos=5

Bronze Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 89
I have a HK 6950R Int amp that I got used on a trade. I was going to buy a new Cambridge Audio Azure and the dealer promised the huge old HK was better. I googled it and learned that it cost about $1400 new. It is my bedroom system.

Post Number: 4
Kevin,

I think the 6950r was the flagship of the range prior to the amp I have.

HK's amps from the late 80's and early 90's seem to be real sleepers.

How is the phono section in your amp?

Dennis

Bronze Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 91
The seller said phono was good. Because it has a lot of inputs on the back I chose to use it for the bedroom because the wife has her Sony Wega and DVD, and cable box set up there. Her budget 2 chanel home theater.
I should carry the turntable in there and test it out.
I have been looking for a good deal on another integrated amp for my turntable. Looking online.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us