What Receiver for Multi-Room Setup?

Username: Infiltrator7

Post Number: 7
Hi guys, I'm putting in wall speakers in my house in a few weeks, and I want to know what I should get. Here's my prospective setup:

-Music Server hooked up to Roku Soundbridge with Optical out to receiver.
-2 Pairs (4 speakers) in wall speakers hooked up to main receiver.
-1 Pair bookshelf speakers hooked up to either main receiver or an old stereo reciever I have.

My only question is, what type of receiver should i get, and is my plan that I have set up right now even going to work?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8077
Andrew, if I understand, you want 3 stereo pairs, foregoing multichannel effects. Is this correct?
If so, a receiver with A+B outputs would power the main 4. If the receiver has dual pre-outs, the second pre would provide a signal to the second receiver.
Are you looking at 2 rooms, or as it looks, 3 sets of stereo speakers?

Post Number: 9
Yes, it would be 3 stereo pairs, with the possibility of another stereo pair later on. I don't think that I would need multichannel effects since I would not be using any of these speakers as a home theater system for movies/tv.

It's actually going to be three different rooms that I'm looking at, with a pair of stereo speakers in each. (Possibly 4 rooms in the future if I can add another stereo pair)

Gold Member

Post Number: 8087
Andrew, a receiver will do that, provided it has A+B speaker outputs. Bear in mind the amps requirements, though. For A+B the speaker load will have to be 8ohms minimum. 4 pairs would require 16ohm speakers.
When I say minimum, the loads will need to be stable, without dips in impedence.

Now, if the speaks go in different rooms, each should have a volume control. An autoformer type volume control will handle the impedence issue, and lessen the odds of overtaxing the receiver. Or integrated amplifier

Post Number: 10
Thanks for your reply. I'm pretty new to this whole audio thing, so you kind of lost me on the impedence load.

Now if I understand you correctly, I should place a impedence dimmer switch, or volume control unit in each room, and make sure my speakers are rated at 16ohms?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8105
Well, it kind of goes either way.
Excuse me if I say something you already know, so here goes.
The lower the impedence of the load, the harder it is on an amplifier.
If you wire 2 16ohm speakers in parallel(likely) then you have an 8 ohm load.
An autoformer based volume control will eliminate the varying loads that the amplifier sees, making the whole thing easier.
You don't want the same volume in a bedroom where someone is changing a diaper as you have in the main room, thus the volume controls.

Have you chosen your speakers?

Lets get some input from others on this issue.

I would suggest you look up Angstrom for speakers, they do in wall and ceiling speakers quite well.

If you are prepared to spend the necessary 120 or so in the other room(s), then your choice of receiver or integrated amplifier is easier.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I haven't chosen my speakers yet, but I was looking at these ones at circuit city.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Specifications-of-Phoenix-Gold-In-Wall-Speakers-A TI6/sem/rpsm/oid/146531/rpem/ccd/productDetailSpecification.do#tabs

I'm not looking for amazing sound quality as my budget isn't that high. I'm thinking around $300 for a receiver, and possibly another $250 or so for the speakers, so these seem to fit my price range - i just want something that works and sounds decent.

Someone on another forum recommended that I consider this Denon receiver. http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3248.asp Will this receiver be what I need?

Also, for these impedance controls, would something like this be what I need?

http://www.smarthome.com/8262w.html

Basically by adding an impedance control, it brings the current up to a safe level for the amp in the speaker to amplify, correct?

Thanks a lot for your help, I'd be completely confused without the clarity that you've provided.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
I think I've decided on these speakers:

http://www.electronics-expo.com/make-a-store/item/JBLSP6II/JBL/SP6II/42.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 8115
Andrew, those volume controls are the correct solution for you.
Those speakers will be fine,as long as you like them.
For a receiver, lets get sommore input here.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us