AVR 340 speaker set up question

Username: Loafguy2000

Post Number: 1
I have an HK AVR340 with Bose/Boston speakers and it sounds great in my LR. I want to setup outdoor Polks on my deck, and to be able to operate outside without inside and vice versa. The 340 has no A?B speaker switch. Multiroon setup so far has not worked well, unable to change volume, source etc when multiroom is on.

Any ideas?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10900

Multiroom does not mean multizone. Multiroom doesn't provide for separate sources (or source switching by itself) and you would have to have a remote link in the location with the second speakers to switch sources. An IR transmitter/receiver/blaster set up is the most common way to get that done. The same source would be through all speakers that are playing at that point. To get distinct sources in more than one location you will require a mulitzone system or separate systems. Does the HK have multiroom or multizone? If multiroom, how are you instructed by HK to run speakers to the other room?

If only multiroom, you will need a speaker switch box with a volume control in addition to the IR system.

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1214
Multi-zone

The set-up can only be done in the On Screen Display, hook the receiver up to a TV with either S-Video or composite cords and you must turn on 2nd Zone that way. It will only pass analog sources, which you can select only on the OSD as well.

Couple of other things can only be done that way such as turn-on volume and crossover points.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10906

Then he will need another amplifier for the second zone?

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1215
Naw the Surround Back speaker inputs will be the 2nd zone, with a 5.1 in the main system.

Username: Loafguy2000

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the comments and advise. I'll see if I can make it work correctly over the weekend.

For the record, I have found the HK manual nearly impossible to follow!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us