"Raiders of the Lost Breezeblocks" a JBL 4645 LFE.1 experiment.

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 4014
Upload

Had this rather interesting conversation with mate down under that says this technique has been down once before back in 1990 and much to my surprise I think it's a wonder solution to tighten up the sub bass and give it a fast attack.

Upload

So here's the deal

I'll grab a few more breezeblocks in a jiffy for an LFE.1 experiment in the morning as its too late here right now! I'll need x3 for the task one for each end and one for the middle.

I won't just go right into it I'd first test it out without the (breezeblocks) make notes of it, the way it feels! SPL db notes would be a little pointless as the unit will only be off the floor be as much as 4" but still I'll take SPL db readings to use as guide reference.

Also I'll plug the lead into the SPL db metres output and take RTA readings before and after.

While it may have improved the sub bass extension with tighter low end response and faster attack as that is what I noticed and I've had the darn thing in that position time and time again with the same thing having to turn it down slightly due to the sound waves vibrating the floorboards directly beneath the sub bass driver. That's it beneath "What Lies Beneath" I haven't tried that one out that's got awesome low end that is supported over the range of channels mostly the threes-screen like when Norman puts his wife in the bathtub and the water level is rising above the overflow pipe with deep low end!

One other minor change I'd have to make is to the height of the JBL Control 5 right channel it's going to up by 4" and I'd have to figurer a way of getting it within a few millimetres.

I kinder feel like Indiana Jones "Raiders of the Lost Breezeblocks."

Oh yeah I'll try that scene out with the bolder rolling down the cave.

When I get around to building horizontal platform for the front loudspeakers which would take care of placement overnight and a lot more.

Okay time to garb a few breezeblocks before someone else garbs.

Well that didn't take long and yes I encountered spiders but no snakes, slugs yes and one centipede and I hate bugs.

Well before bring those breezeblocks in I cleaned them down with broomstick and its just struck me, I'm going to need some type of carpet or other to place over or around the breezeblocks before I start moving the JBL 4645 on top them as I don't what to damage the surface!

Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 4015
Well I now have some cardboard and I can go ahead with the project sometime today, it was easy after spotting the (ISS) passing overheard only 10 minutes ago heading (southeast) out towards Europe and after showing a girl at the (Co-Op) I then asked for some cardboard and look what I got yes this is more than enough.

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8033
Wow, thats a lot of gear!

Cocoon, thanks for taking the time to share your efforts with us.

I look forward to the days adventures!

Cheers!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5102
Cocoons setup looks an awful lot like Andy Summers setup.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 788
I think thats the antithesis of my setup...

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 8741
Whatever you do don't ask him about his neighbor lol. All I can say is the man loves what he loves.

Gold Member

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 4018
Oh well I'm back and I'm tired after humping that huge monolith of 2001 odyssey JBL 4645 sub onto those breezeblocks, well it was easy the cardboard made it slide onto them and its kinder added a slight impact with X-Men II The Last Stand when Jean uses her powers to suspend objects until it all came down to thundering SLAM!

Upload
Upload

I believe the frequency response is down to 25Hz on X-Men II when that house slams into the ground as well as most part of film. It hit at 112dbc in the middle and that was more than enough comfortable without being overwhelming.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

At the moment I've got summer hit from 1999 The Mummy playing chapter 5 when "Rick" busts in to save "Evelyn" his voice his heard from the left sidewall surround array and partly the front its then accompanied by some crazy LFE.1 pounding on my body.

Silver Member
Username: Leonski

Post Number: 164
If you spray the bricks with sealer of some kind, they won't shed. Maybe flat black?
Some kind of acrylic?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us