Choosing Receiver Help...

Username: Shockemags

Post Number: 2
For my apartment, I am going to purchase a 50+" rear projection tv with a Toshiba HD-A2, Xbox 360 via HD component. My speakers are the Fluance AV-F3 towers and AV-SC center to start (I will add the Fluance AV-BP2 satellites in a few months) and a AV123 X-Sub. I am running the HD-A2 to the received by HDMI and will be hooking the Xbox audio by TOSLINK optical. I am looking to get a solid HDMI receiver that will give me good power and device options. I have been suggested the Onkyo 604 and 605. I am leaning towards the 604 bc of price and the 605 is a nice system but a little more than I need. I can get the 604 for $375 shipped. So my question is... Does any one have any suggestions other than the 604 and 605 that will meet my needs in the sub $400 price range.

Thanks.

P.S. I am trying to save as much money as possible.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 164
Have you listened to the Fluance speakers yet? If so, what do you think?

I prefer to keep my video and audio sources uncoupled, negating the need for HDMI. Besides that, the HDMI spec is still in flux so it's a crap shoot when you rely on HDMI (from what I understand, anyway).

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7746
Josh, you can do yourself a favour by looking at(and listening to) something from H/K.
They have a lot different house sound than Onkyo, and the units are(or were, at least) very powerful.
The sound?, that's up to you.

Look up the refurbed units online, with return policy. For 400 skins, you be getting a lot.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10742

Gosh, we've never had this question on the forum.

Have we?

"I am looking to get a solid HDMI receiver that will give me good power and device options."

Device options? What are "device options"?

What's good power?

Whatever it is it's probably not going to be found in a receiver.

Josh, you do not pick a receiver by its HDMI functions. Power is immaterial in a receiver. The difference between 75 watts and 100 just doesn't matter no matter what the salesperson told you.

You either pick a receiver based upon its sound quality or its features. One outweighs the other. You haven't said a thing about sound quality, just features and numbers on a piece of paper. If you like the Onkyo, buy the Onkyo. If you're choosing based on "device options", then buy the one that has what you want that you can afford.

This is a home theater receiver. It will either be broken or obsolete in three years time. Buy what you want now - you seem to have a reason to want the Onkyo - and don't sweat it. There will be new numbers and new features when it comes time to replace this thing. I know this is probably of great importance to you to have the "best" you can afford.

But it's not.

Buy what you like - not us - and live with it until you're tired of it. Quite honestly, $400 isn't that much to sweat over in a HT receiver. One receiver will pretty much be the same as another unless you get really stupid in your speaker selection in the next twelve months.

Buy the Onkyo, hook it up and start listening to some music. You'll love it.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us