School Project

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2542
Ok I'm building a speaker for a school project so I'll let you know how that goes and let you in on the design, build it, and maybe actually take a picture for once.

I'm demonstrating tuning freqs, power, and box sizes to the class as well as showing how to put the driver into the enclosures and wire it.

I'll let you know how it goes. Budget is $30 which will be fairly easy.

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 7736
No IB for the classroom Andre?

Good luck.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2543
Haha

Ok I had to choose Durabrand (budget), but I chose the best driver they had between SQ and extension (6.5", two of them, ok Xmax).

It's time to test the drivers for parameters (bought the appropriate stuff) and design a box to get max extension and flatness. I'll bring my 100x2 amp so I can explain and demonstrate and actually maybe play a song...or the tuning freq and blast the power for a second or two. They are only 15w RMS handling so that'll be cool.

My dad's really worried it won't work.

We WERE going to use MDF, but my dad got all nervous (short notice on the project) so we're using layered, pressed, glued cardboard (and for a port)...

That's all I have to say.

Thanks for the luck.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2544
Ok the results are a 2.5ft³ box volume for both drivers together and maximum SPL 35hz is 108dB and 103dB 30hz. It's actually 10dB down from 100hz to 30hz, but it's a really cheap driver...so. I'm just going to build the box and do my little demo.

I might show them 103dB output at 30hz just for fun. I might even play what the tuning frequency ends up with at max output. We'll see what happens.

I measured the T/S parameters to model it. I will use an EQ to help even out the bass response. Yeah that's about it. Buh-bye.

Silver Member
Username: Leonski

Post Number: 123
What is your choice for modeling software?
Layered glued/pressed cardboard should be fine and fairly inert when properly braced.

is this for summer school? All the little wretcheds have been released for the summer, around here.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2545
I used WinISD Pro. I was at camp for the past few days (It ROCKED!) and I was limited on time so only had two layers of cardboard not awesomely braced, but I still followed my design. It had a lot of muddiness to it, but I still didn't get one part of it hooked up and the output sounded like it had a peak somewhere around the 120hz area. It still had pretty good output down in the 30-50hz area and did a pretty good job of it like I anticipated.

Yes, it's summer school. My dad took it in while I was at camp (didn't expect it) and so I didn't have the wiring completely done inside so only one of the drivers are actually working and my dad told him (the teacher) to hook to his stereo (Emerson) in parallel...and that's not what you're supposed to do haha. First of all, the Emerson is designed for 8-ohm and no lower...that would present a 2-ohm load to the output channel.

I hope he didn't blow up his stereo...we'll see... haha

Hey thanks a lot for the responses it's nice to know what people are saying and thinking.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2547
It turns out I was wrong and the Emerson can handle 4-ohm/channel and so I hooked my cardboard box to it today and everybody was confused how it could be putting out that much deep bass (it wasn't that much really...only one driver of two was working). I simply said it's all in the design.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2549
It's all blown now. I put too much power in (5x the MAX rating)...and it overheated haha...figures.

Well...it was distorted...but I just wanted to push the limits...I'm afraid when I get that sub done that I'll push my limits trying to push its limits! We'll see..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us