Budget sub for music (Hsu?)

Username: Cjv998

Rolla, MO

Post Number: 1
Hi everyone, I'm in the process of buying a pair of Paradigm Mini Monitor v5's that will be powered with ~55W RMS (100W peak). They sound great, but are lacking in the bass department (every sound system I've owned thus far had a sub, so that doesn't help either). Anyway, the Paradigms are +/-2dB at 70Hz. I need an affordable sub; it MUST be less than $500, and I'd strongly prefer it to be $350 or less. It will be used for music approximately 75-80% of the time, with the other ~20% going to movies and games. The sub will go in a small-ish bedroom (13x15x8 or so), and will be connected to my computer's soundcard (Audigy 2 ZS, I have no idea how to connect the sub, as the 3rd set of line-outs is a weird 3 or 4-channel mini-jack connector if I remember correctly (the card does 7.1 with 3 line-outs)). So to summarize, my priorities with the sub are as follows:

1. price (must be <$500, prefer <$350)
2. clarity/crispness (I want well-defined bass notes, although I realize this is a budget-minded sub)
3. how well it blends with the Mini Monitors
4. low freq. extension (keep in mind, this is 4th on the list, so not a big deal)
5. volume (also not a big deal)

At this point, I'm looking at the Hsu STF-1, or maybe the STF-2. I feel the STF-1 would almost be better, as it seems like it'd play a little tighter because of the 8" driver vs. the STF-2's 10" driver. I'm still open to other brands though. Thanks everyone!

Username: Cjv998

Rolla, MO

Post Number: 2
Update on my sound card's outputs, here's how they're set up:

line-out #1 (green): front left/right
line-out #2 (black): rear left/right AND surround right
line-out #3 (orange): front center channel, sub, surround left

The only oddity is that I can use two 2.1 speaker sets for "4.2" sound/quadraphonic, and the second line-out works fine.

Anyway, I'm thinking I'll need this type of adapter cable to get the sub signal from my sound card's third line-out jack to the sub:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=240-142

Hopefully this helps clarify my issue a little. Sorry for the second post, but I couldn't figure out how to edit the first one.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10617

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/363744.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us