Plz suggest sub $300 sub for Athena AS-F2.2's

Bronze Member
Username: Brannigan

Post Number: 31
I searched the forum for the 12" athena made sub that was made to go with my speakers but found nothing. There were a few reviews on amazon.com stating that there is a design flaw of some kind causing premature death in this particular unit but that it sounds great. I would just get that if it was reliable but it seems chancy and I'm having a hard time finding one anyhow. I can still get the 10" AS-P4100 model but the 12" is no longer for sale apparently. Should I get the 10" Athena sub, look harder for the 12", or is there a better choice? I don't know how important it really is to get something "timber matched" but I'm open to ideas. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 531
A matching sub is not necessary Spanky but of course it won't hurt either. I have the Athena ASP4000 which has served me well for over a year now. It's a good entry type sub and is more musical and better made than the econo offerings from Parts Express. The advantage to using an Athena sub is that the crossover dial is marked with the exact settings to blend with all the Athena speakers, just dail it in and you're done.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
Ok thanks for the input. A friend of mine who builds his own speakers wants to help me make a sub. It's his opinion that I can get a far superior sub for the same price if we just order the parts and take an hour to put it together. He showed me a 240w Dayton amp, a 12" Dayton subwoofer speaker, and a $90 solid maple(I think) enclosure. Is this good stuff? They have other brands at parts express obviously so whatever it takes. I saw a 300w bash amp that seems to be highly acclaimed by some and the 10" speakers are about $120 for the high end stuff except a couple for about $170(too much). If something like this will blow a premade sub out of the water I'll do it. I don't know what parts name brands are putting into their products so if they're just as good I'll take the easy way out and get the athena.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
This one looks nice but it's too expensive :-(
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-762
Maybe I should save I dunno.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us