First Timer - Klipsch, Polk, Bose, or AT (low end pkg)

Don Haislet
For the same money, I can the following:

1. Klipsch Synergy Package w/ KSW-12
2. Polk 6700 w/ PSW400
3. Bose 10III Series
4. AT T70
5. AT T90 $100 more than T70

All seem to have their attributes.
Klipsch - good overall sound - robust
Bose - design; not much in the mid range
Polk - 6700 better than previous 6000 or 6200
AT - Good reviews - don't know the sound quality

Bang for Buck?

timn8ter
Of the ones you've listed I'd recommend the AT's. I've heard nothing but very positive things from those that have the AT's, from pro reviewers to owners. I'd also recommend not going with Bose.

tmjlod
Buying speakers is totally about how they sound to you. If you are just starting out, be carefull, since speakers can sound totally different at home than in the store. Buy from a store that has a 30 day return policy so you can swap them if you don't like the sound.

I have Klipsch speakers and absolutly love them, BUT, they are not very good on the Japanese Receivers (Pioneer, Sony, Yamaha, etc.) These recievers are bright and don't complement the Klipsch. I recently switched from Pioneer to a Harmon Kardon AVR125 (Paid $255 at 6th ave electronics) and the sound quality with the Klipsch is astounding.

Make sure you properly match the reciever with the speakers. Polk, Paradym, B&K and Bose all will sound good with Japaneese Recievers. Klipsch will require warmer recievers like Harmon Kardon or Denon.

Also, remember that speakers need break in. The Klipsch are infamous for thier long break in period. It could take months with light listening. Mine are totally broken in now and I found them to be less forward than when new.

When ever I listen to speakers, I always go back to Klipsch, I just like the sound. They are excellent with home theater.

Another tip. If possible, find speakers with a front fired port. They are so much easier to place and are less effected by placement with respect to walls and corners.

My System

H/K AVR125 Receiver ($255 New)
Pioneer DVD Player ($50 Used)
Klipsch SB-3 Main Speakers ($225 Used)
Klipsch KG 2.2V Center ($50 Used)
Unknown in wall speakers Surrounds ($50 Used)
KLH 10", 120 Amp Subwoofer ($99 New)

This entire system cost me $729 and sounds great. I advise on low end systems to go with used, Ebay, sale items, internet purchases. I get complements all the time on my system and the cost wasn't bad.

Good Luck.

Don Haislet
tmjlod - Thanks for the tip on the receiver, as I have a Pioneer VSX 811S. Regarding your comment about bright vs warm, can you further explain. Do you possibly mean higher current draw? I never thought about reciever to speaker matching. I simply assumed similar signaling would provide similar results.

Another question - what about Atlantic Tech or Athena with Pioneer?

Thanks again for your comments. As a newbie to this game I can use all the help I can get.

By the way, I had a KLH system and thats why I am upgrading. And, after two years the amp blew on the Sub - same as yours.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us