Jamo

Hello
I'm looking for a nice home cinme system
my choice for the receiver is
yamaha rxv640
wich i think is a good choice
but the problem for me is with the speakers, i went to many different shops and they all say something else,
the last shop i went i heared jamo speakers play and i thought they sounded great, now i didn't really had the oppurtunity to listen to many different speaker systems.
I was wondering what do you guys think about the jamo speakers in general?
And what do you think about this setup:
It's the E500 set but instead of the normal front speakers i want to get me 2 E550's for the front left and the front right.
they also adivsed me a bose AM6 system but i think the money you have to spend on the bose systemcan be well spent on other systems wich will perform better imo.
Thanks for your advise any suggestions are welcome
off the record I live in europe

timn8ter
Stay away from Bose. It's a total waste of money unless you're more interested in the way the look rather than how they sound. "They're so chic", he said sarcastically. This is a "no brainer". If you're looking for a complete system in the same price range as the Bose go with the Energy TAKE 5+1. If you're even slightly handy you could get the NHT Super Zeros at onecall.com and then build your own sub.

There are many good speaker makers. But since you ask, I bought my first KEF speakers (called KEF Corelli) in 1980 and they are still excellent, and in daily use. I took some KEF Coda III (1990) speakers out of storage recently for surround L and R, and bought one new KEF "pod" for the center channel. I am delighted with the result. Those guys are innovators who make speakers with outstanding sound, and they last forever. Great build quality.
http://www.kef.co.uk/
The "pods" are small speakers which come in fives as part of a new complete 5.1 system which apparently wins prizes.
http://www.kef.com/KHT

timn8ter
This is actually a good point. The physics of audio are constant over time. If a person or company has properly designed and built a loudspeaker system it will sound good until it deteriorates into dust. There are plenty of 20 year old systems out there that sound great. For the casual listener cheap speakers are fine. For the active listener it makes sense to learn as much as you can about audio, acoustics and loudspeaker design before spending hundreds or thousands of dollars for a system. The time spent will be well worth it in addition to the joy of being able to listen to accurately reproduced music day in and day out for years to come.

Thanks for the comments allready you guys.
Now about KEF i know you are very right about saying they are very good quality speakers.
But here in belgium they are pretty expensive, now it's not me paying for them but my mom and we kind of have to stay below a budget of €1700 or about $1700. So i don't think we're gonna stay below the budget if I want to buy the Kef speakers (alltough i know they are worth the money).
Now if you know something about Jamo or ever heared them at a friend or so, please let me know what you think about them. Because they are within the budget and i'm really wondering if they are good speakers or if i maybe get another brand of speakers but laso within the same price-range.
But thanks for the comments anyway
Greets

timn8er: Thank you, I agree. Even if you're young and spending some else's money, why not buy something still worth hearing in 2013, or 2023? Remember you might want two systems one day....

Dave: The KEF KHT 2005 system (five identical speakers as above plus a 250W sub) cost about that, I think. The KEF website lists a load of dealers in Belgium, all in Brussels.
I do not have shares or anything. But get a quality brand where the makers understand the physics of audio, as timn8er says. KEF is definitely one good example.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us