Rega P2 versus Rega P3

Bronze Member
Username: Mmeyers1984

Post Number: 35
Has anyone scene or read about the new Rega P3? Is it that much better than the P2? Do you know when it will be available? Any other phono's you'd recommend.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4573
Don't know about the new P3 but if there are any of the old ones available where you are you may be able to get a good deal on it...

Bronze Member
Username: Dudywoxer

ScunthorpeUK

Post Number: 15
I have heard a few rumours, these have suggsted that the new 3 will have the wood surround just introduced on the 5 & 7, that it will have the 3 point arm fixing, also as seen on the 5&7, and that it will have improved arm wire's. If this is all the case then it will be the real succesor to the P25. From what I can see the real cost in the 7 must be the platter. If the new 3 is in effect a deck with timber surround, a black RB 700, and a glass platter where does that leave the 5. The old 3 was notably better then the 2, so I assume the new one will cream it. I feel that the MDF platter on the 2 holds it back, if that is changed for glass, or acryllic then the 2 takes a big step forward.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10240

Rega has been around for thirty years and have changed the 2 & 3 once in that time. They are not a company that makes changes just for the sake of a new face plate or remote. If they are upgrading the P3, I would bet it is for good reason. On the other hand, how much better any table will be than a slightly lower priced version is difficult to guess for another person. If the music you play and your ear don't favor the advantages of the better table, you might not notice an immediate improvement. Usually you will find out just how much better a product is by living with it and then going back to the lower quality product to hear what is added and missing. Turntable demonstrations are difficult since most delaers can't afford to set up several tables with identical cartridges and few pre amps come with two phono inputs so time is required between comparisons. All that said, a used Rega 3 should serve you well at a reduced price to either new Rega table and you could sell it for what you paid after the smoke has cleared on the new table.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us