Will NAD T512 play VCD in India?

Username: Ray

Post Number: 1
I have a question for all of you. I looked into NAD website and didn't see whether NAD T512 will play a VCD (Video CD). Unfortunately, the prices are very high in this part of the world for me to buy T532. As most of the movies are rented in VCD format in India, could any of you please let me know (who have tried it and knows how to program it etc) whether it can be done?

Another question I have is: Does it really make a huge difference in audio quality when you are listening CDs and using a general brand DVD player (lets say Samsung) instead of NAD, if you connect the DVD player to a NAD reciever through Tos link Optical audio connection. As I understand, in this case the receiver is going to decode the bits info. from the CD and not using the DVD player's decoding and thus doesn't really matter whether you buy a really good DVD player for listening high quality CDs. Is my understanding wrong? Could you please clarify?

Thanks,
Ray

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1108
Ray,

The T512 user manual says it will play VCD discs; it is listed as one of three main formats, along with DVD-Video and CD-Audio. You can get the manual from "Support" on the NAD web site.

I recommend you consider the T533, which brings DVD-Audio, too. Prices have dropped; where I am, the T533 is about the same price as the T512 was, a year ago. I have a T532 and a T533. They are both fine CD players, too, in my opinion. The only way to tell if there is a difference between the analogue and digital connection is to try it. You are right: digital connection means you are using the receiver's DAC. This might just be preferable when using the T512; it depends on the receiver. The DAC resolution in those players goes T533 > T532 > T512.

Username: Ray

Post Number: 2
John,

Thanks for your mail. I checked the manual and also got back from the NAD webmaster. I am posting the info. here. Unfortunately the T512 does not play VCDs. For me it is difficult to buy T533 as I have a very tight budget and unlike US, the prices are very high in this part of the world as the import taxes are very high.

Could you please check whether you can buy NAD T513 in Europe/Asia (I presume dealer in India gets it from Europe, because it is PAL system and 220V in India). Thanks in advance.

Ray

Product Manual:

Playable Discs
DVD
(8 cm / 12 cm disc)
Video CD (VCD)
(8 cm / 12 cm disc)
Audio CD
(8 cm / 12 cm disc)
In addition, this unit can play a CVD (SVCD), CD-R or
CD-RW that contains audio titles or MP3 files.
Video CD and CVD (SVCD) can be available only for
model T 532.

NAD Webmaster:

Thank you for your recent request via the NAD Electronics web-site.

The T512 does not support VCD or SVCD. It supports CD, CDR, CDRW and DVD only. It's replacement, the T513 ,does support VCD, and SVCD and may be a better choice for you.

http://207.228.230.231/info/NAD_T513_data.pdf

The T743 is the replacement receiver for the T742. However, please check with our distributor for NAD Electronics in India to see if he has any T742's left in stock. I have posted his contact information below.

Thank you for your interest in NAD Electronics.

Best regards,

Karen Pritchard

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1117
Ray,

Well, that is what the manual says - plays VCD. the T532 and T512 have the same manual. Maybe there is some small print. You could check.

Yes, the T513 is available in Europe.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us