Help: A/V Receiver + Bookshelf speakers < $1500

Username: Btom

Post Number: 1
Hi all, Looking to replace a dead Adcom stereo set up and old Time Windows. Initially just interested in A/V receiver and a pair of bookshelf speakers (wife says no more speakers on the floor) to be expanded for HT later. Expected use 70% music, 30% video. Like smooth detailed sound not overly bright with broad, deep soundstage and good bass extension to 40hz. Trying to keep price under $1500. Any recommendations appreciated. Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Aznbimmer

Post Number: 12
Tom,

I have a brand new HK AVR7200 w/ a two year warranty. $850, if you're interested. Check out the receiver at:

http://www.harmankardon.com/product_detail.asp?cat=REC&prod=AVR%207200&sType=C

Post Number: 2
Thanks Hanh, But I'd rather put more into the speakers. Primary goal is getting the best stereo performance I can with secondary goal HT capability.

Bronze Member
Username: Aznbimmer

Post Number: 13
Sounds good Tom. Hopefully others here can be more of help to you.

Post Number: 3
I should clarify one thing. When I say bookshelf speakers what I mean is a speaker with reasonably small cabinet (less than 20" height) and that can be placed on a video/audio cabinet 20" from wall with minor impact on performance. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 151
Try a NAD T742/T743 with Dynaudio Audience 52SE. They should give you everything you want.

St. Louis Blues
Unregistered guest
Ditto on the Nad/ Dynaudio combo. Running a Nad T763 and Dynaudio Audience 52's.

You should be able to get a good deal on the Dyns on audiogon- if you want to save a few $$$'s.

Post Number: 4
Thanks. I'll certainly give the NAD a look. I had about decided either the NAD742/43 or a Marantz 5300/5400. The Dynaudio 52SE busts my budget ($1500 for both receiver and speakers). What do you think of the standard 52? Also thinking about looking into Paradigm studio 20's. Thanks again.

Silver Member

Post Number: 152
The 52SE uses same drivers than the new Contour models, so it sounds a bit different than the normal 52. The 52 is also quite good, but there is a difference between the two models. For smooth and detailed, but not overly bright sound you can hardly do better than the Dynaudios.

One great option would be the B&W 705, but I dont know if it's also out of your price range. It makes a great couple with NAD. If you're later going to expand to multichannel the B&W will be a clearly better option because the center speaker HTM7 simply blows away the quite weak Audience42C (if paired with 52/52SE).

I cant comment on Paradigm, because it's not imported in Finland anymore.

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 317
Tom,

Those Paradigm's are wonderful speakers...especially with NAD. The warmth and clarity of the Paradigm's really compliment the open and detailed sound of the NAD. If you like the Paradigm's, you might also check out PSB speakers. Sonically, the PSB speakers are very similar to Paradigm. I have an NAD T762 paired with some PSB Image series speakers and I absolutely love them. The PSB Image 2B or 3LR would fit very well into your budget...dedpending on what type of deal you can get, you might be able to afford the PSB Stratus Mini. Apparently the "old" (i.e. the 2B and 3LR) Image series speakers are being phased out in favor of newer models...so you might be able to find some deals on the 2B or 3LR. The new Image series model to look at is the B25...although I think the only major differences between the "older" and "newer" Image models seem to be cosmetic...at least that is what I heard. Check out http://www.psbspeakers.com/s/ImageSeries.html for more information.

Post Number: 5
Thanks all. You have helped me narrow the field. I'll add the B&W and PSB speakers to my short list. I do have one last question. For each of these speakers, how wide is the dispersion. These will be used in my living room as part of the family AV system. It's important that the listening be good across the seating area. Thanks again!

Silver Member

Post Number: 153
I think all mentioned speakers have a quite ordinary field of dispersions. It will be sufficent for normal use. If too wide you'll have too much reflections wich will mess up the sound field.

For an ultrawide soundfield check speakers like the Mirage Omni series and Beolab 3 and 5. They all use acoustic lenses to widen the sound field. Some might like it, but I recommend you really try them first.

I'll also have do my usual complain about horizontal D'Appolito configuration center speakers and their problems. By this I mean the center speakers wich have a treble driver in the middle and two midbass drivers on the sides. It's a horrible design made only too sell well, fit on top of a TV and look efficient. It's problems are so obvious that I cant understand how they are still so popular. First of all they often have smaller drivers with different crossover frequencies that the main speakers, wich causes thinner and lower quality sound and inconsistent soundstage. They also have a front panel of different shape that will result in different edge reflections and emphasis of some frequencies. That is of course quite difficult to avoid, but it's still a flaw. Worst of all is the problem of interference of the mid and bass frequencies if the listening position is not directly in front of the speaker. That is caused by the distance difference from the midbass drivers. It can be avoided by placing the speaker vertically, but that definitely lowers the WAF, wich is quite understandable. All in all that type of speakers will not work well in almost any HT setup. A better option is to get an identical center, or at least one wich uses the same drivers in a consistent form (like the HTM7). The problem is that many speaker manufacturers will use magnetic shielding for only the dedicated center speakers, wich will hamper the use of identical speakers in the front.

Many Finnish speaker manufacturers use coaxial drivers in their speakers wich prevent almost all the defects of a horizontal D'appolito, but still requires indentical L, C and R speakers. The mains can have additional bass-drivers, but at least the mid and treble should be the same. An other way to make a good center is to put just one midbass driver on the side of the treble like this: http://www.amphion.fi/products/origo/origoframe5.htm .

Well that will be enough ranting for today, I just had to give my feelings about the failed design of ordinary center speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 562
Tom:

It is a pleasure to exchange thoughts with another owner of Time Windows. I bought mine in 1979 or 1980, I don't remember which. But I understand that this is a tall order to fill in replacing those speakers. I, too, was under the same edict from my wife, who wanted everything up off the floor.

Your Adcom is a very nice amp with a very warm sound--I would assume you would want to stay with that sound, so that rules out most receiver brands. I am going to suggest a receiver and a couple of different speakers.

For the receiver, I recommend the receiver I bought, the NAD T753, which has an MSRP of $1K, but can be obtained for $800. It has a very strong 70 wpc x 6 (I think it is about 75-80 wpc x 5), and can easily drive a 4 ohm load (unlike most AVRs). Very detailed sounding, but also has a very warm pleasant sound similar to your old Adcom--I have no doubt you will like the sound. It should sound similar to your Adcom. Don't be mislead about the power either--its 70 wpc is more powerful and cleaner than my previous 110 wpc Denon.

As for the speakers, I am driving Dynaudio 42Ws, which I hang directly on the wall. They are only 7" deep, so they are not obtrusive, and they are wonderful to listen to. The 42Ws are $750/pair, which is slightly more than the regular 42s, which are $699 (but are rear ported, which makes wall mounting problematic--the 42Ws are slightly taller as they have their port on the front). The Dynaudios have a very open sound remeniscent of the Time Windows.

I would also recommend the Paradigm Studio 20s. It is not as open sounding as the Time Windows, but it has a wonderful quality of being so smooth you can listen all day without fatigue. This speaker also goes deeper into the bass than the Dynaudios. You should be able to obtain these for ~$700/pair (MSRP is $800/pr.). However, as they are much deeper (physically) than the Dynaudios, wall mounting would be problematic.

You should also check out the NHT SB-3s. A little more open than the Paradigms, but not quite as open as the Dynaudios, the NHTs are incredibly smooth and very detailed. They are Stereophile's Reference bookshelf speaker. MSRP is $600/pair, but I think you can get them for about $470/pr. from Kiefs (www.kiefs.com). These speakers probably go deeper into the bass than the other two speakers (spec'ed at 38 Hz +/- 3 db). Also, they are wall mountable, with taps for an Omni-mount bracket on the back.

Each of these speakers are part of a full line of speakers from their respective manufacturers, so filling out a full HT system would be very easy.

Finally, if you are so inclined to look at "in-walls", you should check out the Monitor Audio line of in-wall speakers, which have their own integrated back-box--hence, the sound is similar to their regular boxed speakers and your sound is not subject to the vagaries of the wall it is installed in. The Silver CP or Gold CP would be a great choice, and can be obtained within your budget.

Good luck!

Post Number: 6
Thanks again landroval and thanks Hawke. I just ordered a blemished NAD 752 from DMC ($489). I'm also thinking about a pair of blemished PSB stratus minis they have for a good price ($659). Johnny from a few posts back recommended them. What do you two think about these speakers?

Hawke, regarding the Time Windows. I bought mine in '84. My wife has been trying to get rid of them since we were married ('92). I love the open sound and have had a very hard time parting with them but now is the time.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us