Av receiver spec. and speakers

charles
Unregistered guest
Can I connect my 4 ohms speakers Fr,Srr,Ctr and active subwoofer with the av receiver which has the following specifications.

AUDIO SECTION

Maximum Power
Main Channels 80 W + 80 W
Centre Channel 80 W
Rear Channels 80 W + 80 W
Minimum RMS Output Power (6 ohms,1 kHz, 0.1% THD)
Main Channels 60 W + 60 W
Centre Channel 60 W
Rear Channels 60 W + 60 W
High Dynamic Power,Low-Impedance Drive Capability Yes
Dynamic Power/Channel 6 ohms 75 W
4 ohms 95 W
2 ohms 105 W

Input Sensitivity/Impedance Phono (MM) 2.5 mV/47 k-ohms
CD 150 mV/47 k-ohms
Frequency Response 10--100,000 Hz +0, -3 dB
Total Harmonic Distortion (1 kHz)
CD (Main Sp Out) 0.06%
Signa-to-Noise Ratio (CD, 250 mV) 100 dB
Tone Control Characteristics
Bass Boost/Cut ±10 dB 100 Hz
Treble Boost/Cut ±10 dB 20 kHz

I already have the speakers and only need to buy the av receiver.

charles
Unregistered guest
I am a newbies and I have no idea what does this specification (in my previous post) say. ( have only a little knowledge about audio terms)
Hope someone can help me!

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Charles - Sounds like you can drive the 4 Ohm speakers OK. Check the responses under "Amps" at "Harman Kardon" to see if that answers any of your questions about specs. Ifnot come back and I'll try to help.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 561
Charles:

Look on the back panel of the receiver in question. There will be a notation near the speaker output terminals telling you what impedence levels the receiver will tolerate. Although the spec sheet suggests it can handle 4 ohm speakers, I wouldn't bet the mortgage on it--that is probably with only one channel active! However, the back panel will tell the real story and I am guessing that if you have more than two channels connected, it will insist on 8 ohm speakers all around.

BTW, your receiver specs read like a Denon, and my Denon did not tolerate a 4 ohm load (can you say "shutdown"!).

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1107
charles,

It looks like it is designed to cater for 4 Ohms; the spec even gives the power output for 2 Ohms. This is something to ask the dealer; he should be willing to take responsibility for getting that right.

You have every right to be confused. When a maker's spec says "Minimum RMS Output Power (6 ohms,1 kHz, 0.1% THD) Main Channels 60 W + 60 W" etc. then we are all at sea without a paddle. The minimum output power has to be zero. Ideally, you would not have to switch it off to get that.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us