A subwoofer recommendation for music only, please

Username: Allmusicathome

Post Number: 9
As a relative newcomer to the modern world of audio, I'd apppreciate a recommendation for a subwoofer. It will be used with a system for music only, no home theater needed. I'd like to stay under $500 or so, and would consider a used one. The system it will be used with has the following: Paradigm Focus and Esprit speakers, NAD c720bee receiver, and NAD c542 cd player. There is an older tape deck and turntable too, as well as a Russound speaker selector (for the older Advents in another room that are seldom switched on). The room is on the large size and L shaped. Dr. Hsu recommended the VTF-1 or VTF-2, MK 3 for comparison purposes. The Earthquake Supernova 10 mkiv, PSB Subsonic 5i and Martin Logan Dynamo have been suggested too. Which subs would work best with my set-up? Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4466
The Dynamo is a nice little sub but it really depends on how much space you are trying to fill. The Dynamo won't fill an arena with pounding bass, which I would guess isn't really what you want anyway as you are asking about a sub for music.

A Hsu sub might just be the ticket. They are very good all around subs and a real bargain at their price. I also think that the Hsu is a good match for your gear. Remember that you can return a Hsu if you are not satisfied.

Bronze Member
Username: Leonski

Post Number: 66
Chuck, if you decide on the HSU sub, I'll go pick it up for you! I'll let you know if it works well, than forward it to you. OC (home of HSU Research) is just an hours drive up the road.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us