JL Audio Fathom 12" - $3600.00 a little expensive
Earthquake supanova MkIV 15" 2600
Has anyone heard these subs with the dali's or can
anyone offer any suggestions. thanks

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 2146
How about an IB subwoofer? You can get 4 Fi Qs and 1 EP2500 for around $2000 and that's probably enough to get to maybe 120dB down to 20hz I'm guessing and do it with high SQ.

Of course that requires DIY skills...and it takes up a lot of space.

If you have to go with a prebuilt... Is it mainly for music or movies? Do you want it to get LOUD?

I might recommend a Paradigm Seismic 12 ($2100) along with those others for movies. I like the Earthquake.

If you're more into music I might suggest something like the ML Depth i?

http://www.us.martinlogan.com/speaker_intro/depth_i.html It gets down to 20hz and it's probably the best sub I've ever heard for music (except for the Descent i costing 50% more) and man I'd love to have it, but it's out of my price range at $2500). If you can afford the Descent i I would really suggest you take a listen...$3700

*These are all Australian Currency

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1453
Jamo d4sub $1500-1700 aud retail ($1000 aud realistically) go and hear for yourself

Silver Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 632
Cerwin vega 15" powered sub!

Silver Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 633
Best would prob be JL since it 1000 watts and the box is a great design that gives great sound. At least thats the 13.5 inch but I am sure its the same. JMO

Silver Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 144
Jl Audio Fathom 13 inch is actually the choice. An axiom EP-500 would do well as well at a much lower price point.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 509
I'm not sure I'd go with an Axiom subwoofer based on the measurements the EP-600 got, especially as compared with much cheaper competition like the SVS PB10.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests/973-axiom-ep-600-a.html

REL and Martin Logan would be my choices.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7039
The Axiom 600 is a servo driven unit, the 500 fares better than the servo 600.
BTW, Axiom offers factory tours, including listening rooms, in very small groups.

Silver Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 147
Nuck is on the money. I didnt mention the Axiom Ep-600. I said; the Axiom EP-500. COmparing the Axiom EP-500 to the SVS PB10, shows the Axiom to be a better choice. Graphical data along with subjective listening opnion is available at audio asylum forums as well as avsforum subwoofer area. Old hat stuff these days actualy. Some really good work and discussion on subs have definetly been done.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4631
REL

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4632
Oops, if you can swing the JL, that's the way to go...if not REL.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 514
Dah well, I didn't figure Axiom would let any of their other subs outperform their flagship model.

As far as the EP500, I'd still rather have a Hsu.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7060
What is that JL13, like 3k?

Silver Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 149
Stephen- Have you actually heard the entire HSU line vs the Axiom EP 500. I think the HSU- 3-HO Turbo is a reasonable alternative, but, although the rest of the line represents excellent value subs, only the level 3 with turbo could seriously be considered vs the Axiom EP-500.

Silver Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 150
The JL AUdio Fathom f113- which knocked the socks off of the much cheaper SVS PB12-plus/2, lists for 3200. There is a formal fairly detailed review at hometheatersound.com and all kinds of graphical data on the various sub forums I previously mentioned.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 516
Marc: Nope, have you? Do you have measurements of the EP-500 available (including group delay, spectral decay, impulse response, etc)? Unless Axiom pulled off a minor miracle with it, and left their $1800 flagship to rot, I hesitate to include Axiom in the same bang for the buck category as Hsu.

In any event, in most subjective/measurement testing (craigsub for example), I've seen the Hsu-3 HO Turbo outperform the Axiom sub; factoring in that the Axiom is 23% more expensive doesn't exactly make it shine in my eyes either.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us