General Discussion

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 2137
I thought we needed a thread on general discussion about audio.

This includes things like Synergy between components, how components react to each other, why we prefer what we do, music types, the pyramid sound, and all around general discussion.

There's a lot to it and I think it needed a general discussion where we can discuss all the aspects of audio.

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 2150
My personal audio preferences are around 85dB average level w/ stronger (much stronger) bass starting below 60hz or so (and strengthening as it goes lower) and to have a distinct sound I can't really describe. An example of this to me was the Paradigm Studio 60s (powered by 2 channels of 200w Rotel Power...BAM) paired with a ML Depth...wow that was awesome. It sounded like the speakers and sub weren't there when I listened to Coheed and Cambria - Welcome Home.

I also remember a time listening to some ML Summits and Descent...that was good too.

I also remember listening to the ML Descent paired with a pair of speakers, I don't remember which...but everytime I turned it up

Man, it was so transparent of the speakers. When I say good bass...I mean bass like the ML Descent. I'd buy that if I had unlimited funds..but I think I could get similar results with a Behringer EP-2500 powering some recreation of the ML Descent (probably 4-sided) or an IB.

Overall...it's really hard to describe the sound I like. I think I may go for a pair of Studio 60s (after a couple months more saving) and get the Pioneer Elite receiver later..I'll just have to see.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10116

What's "the pyramid sound"?

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 2173
Oh sorry I must have picked that up from band.

The Pyramid Sound is where people like a balanced sound with more bass in it and less of what we're more sensitive to (basically it's Fletcher-Munson compensation). It's like you know the tuba plays louder to add foundation to the sound (bass in music?) and make it fuller. and so the flutes play soft, the trumpets louder, the trombones louder than that, and the tuba (ME! WHOOHOO!) gets to play as loud as he/she wants (except soft songs and below the distortion level of the instrument as well)!

Why do we get subwoofers? Gee I wonder.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10117

I think you need to re-read the FM effect thinking. It has nothing to do with a preference for low bass, something not all of us share to the same measure.

As to your examples of how instruments work, have you noticed the size of the instruments you're discussing? Yes, they are designed to perform as required in a form follows function sort of way, but it should be obvious a wind instrument with a longer throat and larger bell has the potential to play louder and lower than a flute shaped instrument. Lower frequency bass instruments tend to be large in order to support the frequency range they play in, not necessarily to add volume to the bass line. Adding the foundation means "underpinning" the music's line. Underpinning also means the instruments most often play at lower volumes than smaller instruments such as massed violins or violas. Do you listen to classical music, Andre?

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 2180
I have trouble listening for more than a minute or so. It doesn't sound great (computer sound card...you know). I have an organ CD I like and that's the closest I've ever gotten.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10120

You should have someone explain to you how to listen to classical music, Andre, and then attend a few concerts in order to broaden your scope on sound quality. It's not all about bass and 120dB. Learn to listen before you do anything else. The numbers of hifi will still be there when you get back, but you need to hear things first.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 432
Beating a dead horse Jan?
We like you Andre (I think) as a whole here, but at what point do you take to heart the advise you are given?

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 525
I'll admit that sometimes I like bassy music, but as a whole, Jan is correct.

Bronze Member
Username: Nout

Post Number: 81
I have trouble listening for more than a minute or so. It doesn't sound great (computer sound card...you know). I have an organ CD I like and that's the closest I've ever gotten.

Learning to like classical music has nothing to do with the system you play it on.
I have no trouble believing that your computer sound card sounds crap, but who cares? Just try to find some patience to sit and listen to some classical music. If you like it: great, if not, well no harm is done.

But more important: no one is forcing you to like classical music, there's absolutely no shame in disliking it and in my opinion no one needs to like it to make valid comments about how one experiences audio, sound and music.

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 2196
Good point ^^^

I'll say that it's ok...but not really me. When I get older, my tastes may change. We'll see.

When you say bassy music...do you mean like rap (ech) or like heavy Drum and Bass in music? I prefer the latter. When I listen to music, I prefer it to sound full of life (DEEP powerful bass) with the flavor (is that the right word?) of a gorilla pounding it's chest...or ominous style. I'm thinking of a lot of songs, but I can't quite name them...

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10123

" ... with the flavor (is that the right word?) of a gorilla pounding it's chest ... "

I've never licked a gorilla. You have?

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 530
Andre, I listen to almost everything including SOME rap, but I have to be in the mood for it and seldom listen to it. I only have a few cuts.

My music taste runs the gauntlet from jazz, smooth jazz, R&B, a little rap, pop, rock, alternative, vocal...pretty much you name it and I like it... except really heavy screaming rock.

Because my music taste is so wide, it is a nightmare for me to find equipment that "does it all" so to speak...lol

lucally, my MMG's serve me well. Just about the only thing I wish they would perform better in is the ability to re-create deep bass. But, like Jan said, not all of us value ultra deep, ultra loud bass, but more realistic bass. I don't listen to my music at a loud volume, and do have a subwoofer to suppliment my maggies when I feel it is necessary.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 531
"I'll admit that sometimes I like bassy music, but as a whole, Jan is correct."

By this I meant music driven by a bassline. Bad wording.

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 2199
I only listen to the music at loud volume so that there is bass haha.

My definition of a song with good bass is where the bass adds a richness to the music like ambience, rumbles, etc. I've played some music and noticed my woofer cones moving in and out during playback and I wish I could have something that could do that. A sub is out of the market until I buy a receiver or speakers..

Lol Jan...um how about accent?

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 532
"I only listen to the music at loud volume so that there is bass haha."

You can't get blood from a stone...

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6598
" ... with the flavor (is that the right word?) of a gorilla pounding it's chest ... "

I've never licked a gorilla. You have?

Blatant cherry picking, Vigne.

Excellent!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6599
I told yo guys that Billy is 12. right?

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 2203
I don't support this one bit.

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 2205
Nah it's alright I have it on DVR (Music Vid.) and when I had a sub it shook my walls a good bit, but it wasn't that high output range of my system (and when I watched the oscilloscope it was just straight sine waves).

Although...one song I can get pretty strong bass impulses on is Never Die from Creed. I turned my JBLs and KLHs on, then turned the receiver to -1..it distorted...so I turned off the JBLs and I played it again. It didn't distort and the driver gets really close to its limits, but doesn't quite get there (good thing!).

Yeah I like those songs that have that impulsive bass (gorilla beating chest?).

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10126

"Straight" sine waves, Andre?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6606
I am not sure I want to discuss Generals.
Perhaps leftenants.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10127

Billy, what's with the insults and foul language? Either be decent to others or get the hell off the forum.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 543
Jan, I think that Billy is using another username...

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/342437.html

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10130

Don't care what name he uses. He either cuts the crap or he gets whacked.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 546
I agree...just making the suggestion that he may be a troll

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10137

Ya'think?!

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13652
User just got banned.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 109
Thank you

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10142

WHACK!!!

George is right, it feels good.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 440
BE GONE! PEASANT

And Now, Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

March on guys!

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2005
Andre,

FWIW, systems which accent the bass a little are often described as warm. Those that overdo the bass are simply wrong. :-) Your descriptions indicate that you, along with many North Americans, prefer a warm presentation.

Now, this is fine so long as you understand what you're saying and accept the limitations of a system like that. Many systems of this ilk sound big, expansive and easy to listen to, as if they have a safety net that will always catch you. However, it's often the case that warm systems lose the snap and attack of real music. The reason for this is that they often blur the leading edge of a bass line (sometimes you can't even make out the bass line). This slows the timing and makes the bass sound like it's following the rest of the piece, instead of driving it forward (as in real life).

On the other side of the coin, you get systems which are called bright. These (increasingly less common) systems accentuate treble, which gives the impression of space and air, a wider, deeper soundstage and quite a bit of definition and tonal accuracy in the midrange/treble so woodwind, brass and most stringed instruments come across with loads of colour. The problem with this type of system very often is a lack of bass drive and attack once again, with the bass following the rest of the piece due to its lack of definition. As you can see from the description, these systems are very often more sympathetic to the Classical listener because of the extra tonal detail.

Both these types of system are inherently flawed because both offer a skewed view of the world, and the worst thing about them is that they are more adept at playing certain types of music than others, which restricts the listening pleasure of the listener to certain genres. What is becoming increasingly common is a move towards neutrality - systems which try to remain largely neutral in presentation between bass and treble. By bringing in the bass that is on the disc at the right time and in the right amounts, the leading edge of the bass line comes in time with the leading edges of midrange and treble instruments. This has big benefits on pace, rhythm and timing which aids in musical structure and overall coherence. It's not necessarily as pleasant, and it isn't a safe sound so it can unnerve some people because they don't have the warm safety net. It's quite interesting to watch potential customers fidget when they encounter a neutral system for the first time and a track they think has bass comes on with little or no bass at all. They almost get uncomfortable until they switch onto what the neutral system is doing.

I've spoken here in absolutes, but in fact every system and every component in a system leans one way or the other, and people build their systems depending on their individual tastes, experience and musical preferences, which is why their systems change over time. I favour a slightly warm presentation myself, but only very slightly. I used to favour quite warm systems, then moved to a snappier solution. Perhaps my latest choices reflect the fact I'm 42 and feeling my age...:-)

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 111
Shucks.

Have I got a lot to learn.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6614
Funny, I'm feeling your age as well. Frank!

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2015
Hmm, but are you my age? That's the question. And what are these damned aches and pains in places I never used to know exist???

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4657
Excellent post, young Frank.

Give me "neutral" every time. I want the music, not the system.

I am recently returned from the antipodes, and missed the Billy post. It sounds like I was in luck.

Andre, there was a thread called "Do you listen", started by Jan.

The first archive was the best. You can track it only from the most recent. An odd feature of this forum.

Do you listen

Gold Member

Post Number: 6624
42, Frank. For me they come from Hockey and Lacrosse, mostly.(In fact the multiple surgeries).

Oh, and airports!
SOAB I hate airports.

Although 42 beats the other options...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us