Hey, I've got a question about ohms.

T.JR
I have two 8 ohm speakers that produce mediocre bass and i have a high current amp.Can I put two 4ohm subwoofers in the sides of my speakers and get a new crossover network for them. wont that make them 6ohms?or am I totaly lost?PLZ HELP!

T.JR
Sso basicly my question is if i take 8 ohm speakers and stick in 4 ohm subwoofers will that make them 6 ohms?(my question was a bit unclear b4)

Hawk
Are these passive subwoofers or active subwoofers? Will the subs be connected to the front channel speaker wires or to the sub out connection in your pre-amp section?

T.JR
they are gonna be passive(powered by my amp)

Hawk
I really don't think you need to worry. I have a passive sub that I bought to address the same problem. It is a 4 ohm woofer, but the passive crossover of the sub isolates it from the mains. So if you buy a passive sub with a crossover, it will not be a problem.

If you are going to build a passive sub, you will need the right crossover system to provide the buffer. I haven't looked for one, but I am sure you can find one at Parts Express (www.partsexpress.com). They seem to have everything for DIY'ers.

T.JR
no dude! i wanna put the subs in my fronts as side firing woofers as ive seen done by fluance and many other speaker designers. my amp cant handle 4 ohm speakers so i was wondering if putting a 4 ohm speaker in an 8 ohm speaker would make them 6 ohm speakers.i wanna buy a cross over for the ENTIRE speaker. THNX

I don't think thats going to work. The ohm rating of the speakers acually fluctuate across the frequency spectrum so by replacing the woofers with 4 ohm woofers I believe you have a speaker that is 8 Ohms at the higher frequencies and 4 ohms at the lower frequencies.

I understand what you are trying to do. By lowering the ohm load you hope to make the amp put out more power. The only problem though is that you will have to double the power to even hear a difference and if your amp can't handle 4 Ohms you won't be able to double your power (Only the best amps can even do that).

Ohms are not the problem, sensitivity is. By replacing your woofers with a woofer with 3 dB more sensitivity, at the same ohm level, you do the same thing as doubling your power. By replacing it with a +6 dB woofer you do the same as quadrupling the power. So your best bet is to find a more sensitive woofer.

Actually I wouldn't do that. I would just add a powered sub and get a dramatic difference in bass and probably get cleaner highs at the same time by turning down the bass to the mains.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us