Old Turntable, New Tricks

Silver Member
Username: Tunasalad

California US

Post Number: 119
Hi,

My name is Stefan. I recently aquired (from my father) a Rotel RP300 direct drive turntable from back in the day. The problem is, the old Grado Gold catridge has a broken needle on it. I need to get this turntable turning, hopefully for under $150. This table will be paired with a "dayton wainwright pro" pre-amp and a Hafler DH 220 stereo amp. This setup will be driving DCM TIMEWINDOWS. I would really appreciate some cartridge recommendations for this very oldschool setup.

Thanks,
Stefan

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9988

http://www.needledoctor.com/Brand-Stores/Grado-Stylus;jsessionid=ac112b6c1f43a9f1c2c301494d7ab7c7f9f1cb0cd8ac.e3eTaxiMa38Te34NaheQc34 Rchv0

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9989

And, it's Dayton Wright.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9990

http://www.dayton-wright.com/Preamplifiers.html

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6337
Stefan, do you have TW 1's, 1a's or 3's.
7's?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6338
Well if really oldschool, I guess the 1's.

Silver Member

California US

Post Number: 120
The pre-amp is the SPS mk3, sorry about messing up the name earlier. About replacing the stylus, is it worth the $90 to replace the Gold Stylus, as opposed to buying a full Grado green or blue or whatever the heck they are($70 or so)?

Thanks,
Stefan

Silver Member

California US

Post Number: 123
I just learned from my dad that the old Grado cartridge is not a viable option. What cartridge would you guys recommend? I need something under $150 and one that is idiot proof (very durable).

Thanks,
Stefan

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9994

The SPS is a great pre amp. I owned one for many years. Get another Grado.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6353
And the speakers , Stefan?

Silver Member

California US

Post Number: 125
The speakers are DCM TIMEWINDOWS, as mentioned above. Which Grado cartridge would you recommend? They have three or four cartridges that all seem similar.

Thanks,
Stefan

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9997

They are similar. Grado only builds one low priced cartridge body. The stylus is what you choose to increase performance of that cartridge body. Choose the best "cartridge" you can afford, they all have a similar balance; but, you will hear more information as you get a better stylus.

Silver Member

California US

Post Number: 127
Thanks for the info on the styluses. That led me to another question; Could I find a new Grado Red or Black cartridge body and attach a Gold or Silver Stylus? If so, where?

Thanks,
Stefan

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10002

You can't buy just the body. Buy the entire cartridge and upgrade the stylus when the first one wears out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us