Please help complete my vintage Nivico setup...

Username: Wcgary83

West Chester, PA USA

Post Number: 1
Hi!

I have recently acquired great vintage NIVICO 5240B.
I chose it because it has a sturdy walnut base, a 3lb platter, manual operation, belt drive, and a solid looking tonearm with a standard mount cartridge... I felt a vintage TT would be much more solid and reduce mechanical vibrations. This was a guess, because this was my first TT purchase, and now need a preamp...
I am looking at the NAD PP-2 or Parasound PPH-100.
Can anyone give me any suggestions on a suitable preamp? Oh yeah, I was planning to load an AT 440MLa...
Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9941

In broad terms, you don't match a pre amp to the table. Why did you choose that cartridge?

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 813
Jan, I think that's why he gave info on the cart. The AT440MLa has a reputation for being a good budget mm cart. Both the NAD and Parasound will work with the AT cart. The question is whether the cart will work with the arm in terms of mass and compliance.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9942

I'd still prefer to know why he chose that cartridge. There are several good budget mm cartridges. If he chose the AT for reasons of sound quality that he can describe, then that would help determine which phono section might mate best for his system's end goal. If he chose it just because it fits his budget, then he should use the same process of elimination with the phono section. Eenie, meenie, ...

West Chester, PA USA

Post Number: 2
Hi guys!

I was thinking of the AT 440ml because if its microline stylus and the rave reviews it gets, especially for the money. The microline is supossedly much better then an elliptical. Also, it seems that AT has a great reputation for workmanship. The tonearm is fully adjustable, as much an any good tonearm it seems... Is there somethine else besides tracking that goes into account?

The AT 440ML is supposed to have an open natural sound that breathes well, with great imaging and soundstage. I listen to mostly classic rock on vinyl(I couldn't imagine how Pantera would sound) I heard an old guy's setup with a classic Marantz TT and a sansui tube amp through Klipsch speakers that looked like a guitar amp stack, and the quality just blew me away... It sounded like robert plant was recording right in front of me. I know I can't match that ridiculous setup, but would love that natural live sound.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9945

Either pre amp will work. Take your pick based on which you think you'll prefer.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9946

http://www.musicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=ABELVP129

West Chester, PA USA

Post Number: 3
Do you know if there is a difference between the Parasound PPH-100 and the Zphono?

I figure the NAD PP2 and the Parasound cost about the same, so it really comes down to which sounds better... but I havent found any forums which compare the two. That would be an interesting topic I would think, because of the similar afforable price range and great sound between them

West Chester, PA USA

Post Number: 4
Oh yeah, I just found the Cambridge Audio 540P or 640P, any info on this?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us