How much should I spend on a turntable?

Bronze Member
Username: Mmeyers1984

Post Number: 12
I'm in the process of buying a new stereo consisting of Spendor 8e speakers ($3,200) and an NAD M3 integrated amp ($2,800). I've had the Rega PL1 or PL2 recommended by an audio store at $350 or $600. He thought I should get the PL2. Do I really need to spend that much? or could I settle for a cheaper PL1? I currently have a very old Techniques SL-Q350.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9918

"Do I really need to spend that much? or could I settle for a cheaper PL1?"

Like we're supposed to know what you'll settle for? Here's the hint; garbage in - garbage out.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
I guess your not a fan of the PL1? Any other turntables you like?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9921

I like all Rega tables. You are dropping some large change on the amp and speakers. I'm a bit amazed at the low cost table the shop suggested. Did they just think you didn't want to spend any more than a few hundred on the table? Did they compare any tables for you? Did they discuss the role of the source in a well balanced system? Or are you someone who feels speakers make the largest "difference"? My suggestion would be to spend a few grand on a table and far less on speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6164
I will back Jan on 50% of the post.
Yes, by all means, Mike, you should revisit the dealer and restate your TT desires. The dealer has missed the mark entirely. This type of outlay deserves, excuse me, demands a HQ vinyl cart.
Jan missed on the speakers, those Splendors are lovely. Although the 3/5 would do, the 8e's look to carry the load quite well(on paper).
Of course i have just spent another grand of Mike's money, yet to choose a pickup.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Alright, I got it. I'm getting stingy at the wrong time. I want to do this right. I think I'll go with the P2 but I think you may be telling me that's still short changing what I should be getting.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 283
P7

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9922

Ask the dealer to demonstrate what they have available. You need no more deck than you can appreciate at this time. If your listening habits are such that you hear tight bass, clear mids and clean highs as the most important values (a Stereo Review type of system), a less expensive table will do for now. If you regularly listen to live music and hold musical values rather than frequency response most important, you will find nuance and artistic expression more readily available from the higher priced deck. The dealer should be able to explain the hierarchy of a system. If not, then they have done you a disservice.

As long as you buy a deck such as a Rega you will be able to upgrade with little monetary loss as your musical values expand by listening through a good system. If you have the extra $1k, buy the larger speakers. But if you are buying larger speakers solely for the additional bass response, you might be giving up one thing in order to gain another. There is no right system that anyone can prescribe for you but listen with an open mind and open ears.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
thanks. I see your from Dallas. I've been shopping at Audio Concepts. They're a little hard to deal with but seem to be the only guys in town.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6180
Jan has rightfully bemoaned the dearth of Hifi around Dallas. It seems the better shops are out around Plano.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
any store suggestions?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9924

With that information I'm very surprised that AC let you even get out the door thinking a P2 would be sufficient.
Tell me why you think Audio Concepts is difficult. Pricing? Attitude? Merchandise? Two channel high end is dying a slow death in DFW. What part of town do you live in?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
I live in Arlington. AC was a bit snotty. I had to push them hard to let me compare a couple of different brands of speakers. Also they don't let you try the equipment at home unless your willing to get hit with a 20% RESTOCKING FEE. But at the end of the day I was satisfied with them to a point.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6183
Sorry, Mike. I am a million miles away.
Jan does not rec equipment very often, dealers perhaps even less.
Should your thread continue, you might PM Jan for more.

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 812
mike,

The Rega P3 is a good entry point for a quality analog front end and would be a good fit with the rest of your system. In the long run, probably worth extra $$ over the P2.

Galen Carol Audio in San Antonio is an excellent, helpful dealer. I've dealt with them over the phone for mail order stuff. They have a good website. Worth at least a phone call. BTW I'm not affiliated with GC Audio. I have no issues with promoting high quality businesses.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
thanks for the help. I have run across Galen's web sit. It seemed pretty good. I will give it another look.

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 289
Mike,

Rega dealers will not sell into other Rega dealers territory, so Galen's is a good place to look if you want something other than Rega.

Any reason you don't listen to a pre-amp that has a phone stage included?

John Fort Audio Video is about 15 minutes from Audio Concepts. I sent you a PM if you want to know more.

Bronze Member
Username: Malco49

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 63
an "outsider's" view if you are able to spend $6000 on speakers and amp then just "in general" i would imagine a kicking turntable should not be out of the question.unless you rarely listen to vinyl.
without getting specific i would imagine upwards
of a $1000 would go well with your system a rega
or a pro-ject.
PS i recently spoke with the audio concept folks via phone when considering a rega amp and they seemed OK.
anyhow don't cheap out on the turntable.
know what about your interconnects????

enjoy your new system

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9926

Have you looked in the Yellow Pages? Most of the dealers listed under "Stereo" sell either home theater or car systems but there were a few worth checking. Marvin's in FW is a long time high end dealer in the area, the only real McIntosh dealer left in North Texas though they are drifting into HT more and more. I don't know if they sell a table right now. John Fort has been at it for years and knows his stuff. Krystal Clear is still running an ad. There's a new dealer selling tube based gear who has an ad on this forum from time to time, "Blue Glow Audio" or something similar and a few names I don't know in the directory. Austin is worth the trip for some people. Use a search engine and you might find a few more.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
What type of turntable do you think I could look at that has the preamp built in? I like the idea of only having one piece of equipment. Any suggestions? I been to many of the home theater stores but have been disapointed relative to basic audio gear. Who should I talk to at John Fort Audio Video? By the way everybody is right about my cheaping out at the end. I just didn't realize what I needed to spend for a CD player and a turntable but I'm not going to rush in and make a mistake.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4240
You're going to need a phono pre amp Mike. Get used to it...lol.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9928

Consumer level turntables don't have the phono pre amp built into the table. The pre amp or integrated amplifier will contain the phono section or you can buy an outboard phono pre amp if you like a line level pre amp without phono included.

If you go to John Fort's, you'll talk to John Fort.

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 290
Jan said what I was saying and what I was going to say both. The phono stage I was referencing would be built into the pre-amp itself, like my Rogue Audio Magnum 99 or the Creek 5350 SE Integrated I traded in for the Rogue (at John Fort Audio Video).

John's number is 972-644-1199.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us