Box desing help!!!

Silver Member
Username: Goose5714

Post Number: 497
So i have a 500w bash plate amp i'm going to be pairing with a dayton titanic mkIII 12inch. This system will be in my room at home for now but will be going with me to my dorm next fall, so i can't have a huge box. I would like to go ported as i am a huge basshead thx to my car audio experience, but i don't want it to be sloppy for music listening. From what i've gathered most HT setups feature lower tuning so it shouldn't be a problem.

The other thing i've noticed is that many HT boxes use tube ports....is this a must??? i am more apt at boxbuilding with slot ports...wondering if there's any reason not to slot port it.

So basically what i'm asking, is how big of box, what tuning, what kinda port i should use, and where i should place the sub (down firing, on same face as port, on opposite...etc). help would be appreciated!

Silver Member

Post Number: 498
Ok i meant box "designing" sorry for my horrible proofreading skills lol.

BTW i would be willing to pay a small sum of money for some nice optimized for my setup box plans with a cut sheet, etc....

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 1597
How you put your sub (down-firing, fron-firing) depends on if you like the shake more or just hearing it without the shake. I don't even know my preference yet. Nothing is wrong with slot porting to my knowledge. I'm considering infinite baffle (different in house than car) for my setup as it provides the benefits of being musical, having high efficiency (SPL), and not intruding into the room. Have you ever heard of this?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9818

Contact Parts Express. They sell the Dayton driver and can give you the information you require and will sell you a cabinet to use.

Silver Member

Post Number: 499
I see no reason to buy a cabinent when i can probalby make one (or 2 actually lol) from a 20 dollar sheet of mdf.

As far as infinite baffle goes..in car audio that usually means no box basically free air which never really optimizes anything. I want to here it most...the shake is a plus but not what i'm going for i guess....

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9823

If you can "probalby" make one, don't buy their cabinet. But call Parts Express, they sell the driver and they can tell you what you need to build.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 292
"How you put your sub (down-firing, fron-firing) depends on if you like the shake more or just hearing it without the shake."

this is not true. It is all in preference. Some people feel that a down firing sub has better dispersal than a front firing sub.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9826

Guys, neither is "true". Not all drivers can be mounted in a downward firing position. It has to do with the suspension of the driver and not your user preference.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 393
Nor does one "shake" more than the other?
I get more and more free entertainment daily.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1637
I mean interact with the floor, not SPL. Of course, if it's an IB, mounting it in a line array will most certainly shake your house.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 294
Jan, I know that the suspension of the driver has to do with it as well, but there are some people that feel that a downward firing driver has better dispersal, and couples with the room better.

IMHO, I have heard both well (and very poor) examples of both front and down firing designs.

Two of the MartinLogan subwoofers are designed so the user can mount the sub either in a floor firing or front firing configuration.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9833

"Two of the MartinLogan subwoofers are designed so the user can mount the sub either in a floor firing or front firing configuration."

Does that make them bipolar?

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 391
They perhaps have a bit of an identity crisis, but they are not bipolar.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5976
Ba-dump-bump.

Give him the hook.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5977
Maybe it's just me.
The salesman for the woofer says that it can be mounted in any direction. This means that it has no use for phase, first of all.
It will work just as well with its concave reflective surface facing a cushioning space of air, as it will facing a counter-reacting force of exact energy.
Each of these arrangements can deliver the frequencies available through an extruded aluminum basket, when the rear of the speaker is pointed toward the outside.

Hifi.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9837

I've never thought of the floor as a "counter-reacting force of exact energy". How can a passive device be a force of energy?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5984
My mind drifted off to dual drives, for some reason. Never Mind.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9848

Where's Andre when you need him? Bet he got detention for not paying attention.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13099
He may have fried his brain conjuring up ways to destroy subwoofers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6002
I just got out of detention. He was still there when I left.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1646
Lol. Actually what happened is our modem fried because the power supply went bad. It's up and running now.

Bronze Member
Username: Leonski

Post Number: 43
Josh,
Couple of things may help.
I have the printout of the advert of the MkIII in front of me. In the small print at the bottom they say 1.1ft3 sealed OR 2.8ft3 vented. There are tradeoffs in either choice...power handling and low freq rolloff are just 2.
There are several 'box' programs available. Some are free and others can run 100$ plus. You may want to try some of the freebie stuff first, to get an idea how the numbers (TS parameters of a driver) effect the final outcome.
As it turns out, I'm in a similar boat, trying to figure out how to get some real bass going in my system. My ancient Maggies give up around 50hz or so. I simply don't have room for a full-on HT setup, so I want a sub for music as well as the boom-boom stuff of movies.
Welcome to the DIY Zone.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us