Too much power?

Username: Cugine

San Jose, CA USA

Post Number: 9
Hi,

I know its possible to UNDERpower a room but is it really possible to OVERpower a room? What I mean is, Hsu gives recommendations of subs based on room size. Meaning, the bigger the room the bigger the size. Based on Hsu's loudness level index I have a mid-sized room (2). I at some point may change the location and it may end up being a large room (3). Is there any major downside in purchasing a bigger sub?

Thanks,
Danny

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9744

Room size ultimately determines the lowest bass frequency you can place in that room. Too much woofer in too small a room will result in muddy bass through a large portion of the frequency range as the sound pressure wave does not have the dimensions required to propogate the wavefront without bumping into another wave. The solution would be to buy the correct size woofer for now and later add the larger woofer to extend the bass response in a larger room. Two woofers will drive a room more accurately than one single woofer so you will benefit on both fronts. I would suggest, when the time comes, you listen to the smaller sub in the larger room before rushing off to buy a larger subwoofer. You might find that given the additional room size the smaller sub is clearer than before and depending on your real need for bass extension the smaller sub might still satisfy all your needs for bass response in the larger room.

Keep in mind every time you double the distance between you and the speaker, you will loose six dB of volume at the listening position. This is the equivalent of quartering the wattage of the amplifier. This could mean the smaller sub's amplifier can't produce sufficient power to fill a larger room if you have moved your seating position further away from the sub.

Do not, however, get hung up on how many watts are produced by the amplifier or how large the woofer is when you listen to the system. Ultimately, sound quality should prevail over any number you can pull out of a spec sheet. Ignore numbers until you've found the component that sounds best for your budget. At that point a competent dealership should be able to interpret the numbers to make sense of how your system will fit together.

Bronze Member
Username: Cugine

San Jose, CA USA

Post Number: 11
Jan,

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. That really helps me. I actually am in a smaller room than reported in my other thread because I was afraid I would be recommended something too wimpy. I think I will post my exact room measurements and when the time comes for a bigger room I can upgrade at that time.

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 1100
Extreme sound quality at 1 microwatt 20dB FTW!

Bronze Member
Username: Leonski

Post Number: 71
read this! I know i'm late.

http://www.harman.com/wp/pdf/multsubs.pdf

Jan said:
Two woofers will drive a room more accurately than one single woofer so you will benefit on both fronts.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us