Looking for a bookshelf for around $500

Username: Chicomoralessxm

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 10
I'm tring to put together budget 2 channnel setup pretty much settled on the hk3380 uhh i think and really have my heart set on the para titan v5 has anyone heard it yet??? Was also considering psb b25 mini mon v5 or the rc-10 since these are the models available in my region. any thoughts. Oh the reason for bookshelfs is space constraints have a mid sized room. Prefer something new and a speaker that can play lots of different music jazz salsa trance reggae you name it. will add a sub down the road.

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 1076
Yeah I heard the Titan v5's without a sub the other day and on Coheed and Cambria's "Welcome Home" I loved their job displaying the dynamics and I really liked their sound (especially compared to what I have of course) and how well they displayed it. When I added in a ML Depth (and a Dynamo, but not quite so much) the sound filled out and it sounded great, so those are my thoughts on that.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 233
I have a wide range in music taste, and am a paradigm fan. I listen to a lot of jazz, smooth jazz, R$B, some rap, classical (Sarah Brightman), and pop. Even some hard rock from time to time.

The Paradigm speakers, while they have faults, are smooth sounding enough for the jazz and classical, but engaging enough for rock.

www.paradigm.com

There have been some reports in here that PSB speakers can be a little harsh in the treble, which is not a trait that you want for jazz music. However, it can make rock sound "zippy" and live to certain people. Keep in mind that this zippy tendency from the treble may get tiring after a while.

FWIW, I have not noticed a zippy, harsh treble from a Paradigm speaker in the Monitor or Studio series.

Silver Member

Post Number: 234
If I remember correctly, the Titan v.5 are part of the Monitor series now.

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 11
Yes they are and thanks for your observations guys I wish i could audition them but i'd have to fly to Puerto rico just for that. Money i could use to to buy them right. But i've heard positive things so far on them and well love their look. My bro will audition a pair for me and give me his verdict.

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 14
andre what where they setup with the titans you heard. source and amp? just wondering what is a good pairing with paradigm few people and from i read suggust rotel.

Has anyone heard the new titans or mini's v5

Silver Member

Post Number: 246
I also suggest Rotel, this is coming from a Paradigm user.

Also, if you are looking for a receiver, I recommend Yamaha or Integra. Onkyo will also work, but I recommend the other two first. They are a little smoother IMHO.

My dealer demos the speakers with Integra, Yamaha, and Onkyo receivers. Integra is also the upper end division of Onkyo in case you were wondering.

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 17
really gavin that intresting what do you mean but smoother??? I've seem some say denon and para. I really guess it depends on the sound your can hear firstly and what you like. But for jazz classical smooth clean sound is nice not harsh. But i do like the forward sound for alternative zouk and dance.

Personally i was looking at well hk3380 off amazon, or the refurbished 3480 of harmans site. the ideal yamaha 659 or rx797 are outta of my price range. Pioneer also cause the price was right the vsx-d814(since it has pre-outs)
I'm going to latter get a nice int amp. was looking at nadc352 or 325 rotel, CA540a and musichall a25.2 but i'll save for that need something like now!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 249
The Onkyo receivers can be a little bright and grainy in the treble.

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 19
Do the titan's have what you call clean bass or is the lower extention kinda muddy, really would need a sub right away. Curious how you compare the them with the mini's are they worth the extra 100+ bucks???

Silver Member

Post Number: 251
The older Titans were not overly clean, but I have heard many speakers that were more muddy than they were. They would suffice without a subwoofer until you wanted to integrate one.

With the new monitor series, I really can't judge. I can only say that it probably will be better than the old titans.

When the Titans were part of the performance series, I would have taken the minis. However, it appears that the Titans have taken the place of the monitor 3, and they had respectable bass performance for the size.

Bronze Member
Username: Mrtomasulo

Post Number: 82
In my experience, HK receivers are far superior to Yamaha at similar price points.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3927
They certainly have better power supplies.

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 20
Well thats what i've been told to look for don't be fooled by watts per channel its a very subjective number lots of companies use. In any event i'm looking for nice sound quality with a pre-out so then i could add an external amp if neccesary

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3929
Pioneer makes a very nice reciver in your price range with a decent power supply and a more neutral sound than the HK. It's especiall worth considering if you intend to add an external power amp.

2076_310069809_316743263%2C00.html,http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/p roduct/details/0,,2076_310069809_316743263,00.html

Silver Member
Username: Uback007

Post Number: 134
I am wanting to upgrade my Paradigm Titans V.4 a step-up - maximum I want to spend is $650. My set-up consists of a Cambridge Audio 640A V.1 Integrated, Cambridge Audio 540D dvd player, Anti-cable speaker cables, and Signal Cable interconnects. Any suggestion as to some speakers to check out would be much appreciated.

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 21
Thanks art! you are refering to the vsx816. I'm trying to see if i find one are a bargin on amazon but the prob the cheapest i'm seeing is 270 i believe plus the shipping to fl then here. I was considering an older model the vsx-d814 that i saw locally is it any good or just buy the bit extra get the 3380 or better yet the 3480 or the 816.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3931
Actually I was referring to the VSX 1016TXV, Don't know why the link didn't work.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
I bought a 3480-Z on ebay for 175 shipped about a month ago. They don't always go that cheap, but if you "hunt" them for a while you can nab one like that.

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 22
is audiogon a better place to hunt than ebay??? I just setup a paypal account so I'm considering checking out some stuff from one of those sites possible one of those refurb 3480's or the receiver you suggust art used might be the way 2 go after all

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
No ebay is best because you can buy it directly from Harman Kardon on ebay. They are an ebay seller.

Username: Xanthan

Post Number: 4
really like the Klipsch Quintet III's, sure they are for 5.1 but sound great for music providing you have a sub. Retail is $499 they can be had for $400 on ebay. They have 2 front, 2 rear/surround 1 center. The horn drive tweeter on them sounds very clean.

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 869
Wharfedale Diamond 9.2 is your best bet under $500/pr. (they can actually be had for less than $300). For a few more $$$ (about $550?) you might be able to find a pair of Paradigm Studio 20 v3, the best bookshelf under $1000 IMHO.

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 26
Still wondering has anyone heard the new paradigm titan monitors?? i'm narrowing it down between them and the new miniv5 just wondering is the imaging and sound worth the extra 100+ bucks. or do i just go for the b25psb which is well a different sound i'm thinking but a pretty good speaker none the less??? would appreciate someone who has heard for their impressions on the new titanv5

Bronze Member
Username: Jingka99

Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia

Post Number: 81
I am using a PSB Image B25 with NAD C352 and I don't find it harsh as previously mentioned but Gavin but I think this characteristic also depends on the int amp driving it...and I also think that the harshness that some people observed can be attributed to the fact that the B25s has aluminum dome tweeter as compared to soft dome tweeter...

I also agree with Christopher that the paradigm studio 20 v3 is also worth considering, I have heard it once and it's awesome...

I suggest you to try to listen to both B25 and studio 20s...

Silver Member

Post Number: 254
You don't find the PSB harsh because the NAD is a mellow sounding amp, and mates well to PSB. They basically compliment each other's flaws.

Arnold, the Paradigm monitor series speakers also have metal tweeters. I have heard them brighten up and sound a little grainy when driven by a cheap receiver, but have never heard them sound harsh.

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 31
and your impressions on the titans will a hk receiver compliement them or will will a pioneer 816 do them justice???

Bronze Member
Username: Jingka99

Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia

Post Number: 84
Gavin, I totally agree with you that's why I mentioned that it's also dependent on the Integrated amp paired with it...

Silver Member

Post Number: 255
I believe that H/K would be a good match for paradigm speakers. They are fairly smooth sounding speakers IMHO, and H/K is a good quality receiver for the price. While I prefer integra, some prefer harman. It is all personal preference.

I WILL state to stay away from the lower end onkyo receivers however. They have (to my ears) a grainy sounding treble that comes out clearly in quality speakers.

gavin

Bronze Member

Post Number: 98
Chicomoralessxm , check your pm.

Silver Member
Username: Tc_skier

Post Number: 129
i'd do HK 3380/3480 (depending on if the $35 will make or break you..amazon has em for cheap)...and match them with wharfedale 9.2's from AYS electronics. total package price should be right about 500.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 904
Factory Refurb. HK3480 for $198 from HK Direct. http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/product_detail.asp?urlMaterialNumber=HK 3480

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6394
Cheap, man, cheap.
Great deal.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1614
I would like to nominate Christopher Molloy as our new resident bargain hunter.

He's nominated to hold the seat Edster vacated a while back. And Chris hasn't mentioned the Panasonic XR55 or whatever version its up to now. One more trait and we have the trifecta.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6396
I second CM!

Hear Hear

Whatever you have won, Chris, it's your's now.

Good luck with that.

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 77
Oh well guys i got the 3380 new from jr's off amazon store due to shipping ease shipped to miami free total 197 just about 35 bucks to get it hear from their. Still saving for my second pair of bookshelves lol will have the miniv5 by next week hopefully and well by nov or so look out I will be tormenting my neighbours with more sounds again lol. They are quite understanding. Looking seriously at the NHT classic three, studio 20's or maybe even the focal 706v's. Then on to a new int amp. nahhhh not just yet i better enjoy what i have first lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 6403
Chico, when do you get the HK delivered?
Not bad shipping to you where you are.
I gotta look your place up on a map.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 905
I miss Edster, and I'm proud to except this nominaion in his memory.

...And by the way http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&kw=PASAXR57S&is=REG&Q= &O=productlist&sku=431701

Silver Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 141
CM gets my vote too! Infact, when I was asked for bookshelf speaker recommendations recently, I looked for a post by CM listing several options. Unfortunately though, the post seems too far back to be found easily..

Silver Member

Post Number: 142
Thanks to Google:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/196299.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 6407
Good lookup, Jersey.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6408
Piscataway could only be in New Jersey.
Imagine Piscataway in Arizona? No way.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 909
Need to work on a new list.

I pretty happy recommending the 9.2 to anyone on a budget up to $500 & the Studio 20 to anyone on a budget up to about $1000. I have not heard the two head to head, but I'd like to, I bet the 9.2 would hold their own.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6422
C'mon, Cm, ya gotta find something cheaper...

The Gauntlet has been laid down and all...

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 910
Cheaper, not better.

All Sub-$300: The winner & champion Wharfedale Diamond 9.2, Infinity Beta 20 (refubs.), AV123 Onix X-LS

All Sub-$200:
6.5" Drivers: Whafedale Diamond 8.2, Infinity Primus P162, Athena AS-B2.2

5.25" Drivers: Wharfdale Diamond 9.1, Mission M31 (limited), Infinity Beta 10 (refubs.), Wharfedale Diamond 8.1, Infinity Primus P152, Athena AS-B1.2

All Sub-$100: Mission M70 (limited), Polk R150, Insignia NS-B2111

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 911
I forgot to include the Hsu Research HB-1 in the sub-$300 category.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6427
Good stuff for the masses!!

Hear! Hear!

Silver Member

Post Number: 143
It only gets better!

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 446
LETS NOT FORGET THE ULTIMATE GOLDEN PRICED BEAUTY...

The Cambridge Soundworks Model 6. This baby is a Henry Kloss Classic, and has sadly been discontinued by Cambridge Soundworks.

These are the best sounding speakers I have yet to hear in the $100 price range, and give many speakers a run for twice the price.

http://www.bestspeakerdeals.com/store/category.cgi?category=bgd_spk%26item%3Dc1m 6bkpr&type=store

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 447
damn... I can't link the model 6's to the forum. But, they are available at www.bestspeakerdeals.com

that is the Cambridge Soundworks online outlet. They are there on closeout due to the fact that they are discontinued :-(. Once again, a classic goes by the wayside.

Username: Golden_ear

Post Number: 1
Upload
I bought the new Yamaha HS50M active studio monitors to mix my music. Man these are better than any Hi-Fi speakers I have ever used. They are designed by the legendary designer Akira Nakamura, the man behind the legendary NS1000M and NS10M monitors used in recording studios worldwide. This year Yamaha HS series was awarded a Technical GRAMMY along with NS10M monitors. The price for a pair is around $400 but these are bi-amped active monitors so you won't need a power amp(and speaker cables). You can feed them directly from the outputs of your CD player and they will sound very dynamic and transparent with deep accurate bass and smooth silky treble. If you get a pre-amp they will sound more agile. I'm listening to jazz on them, they sound like $5000 pair electrostatic speakers, they are that good. Yamaha also makes matching powered subwofers for HS50Ms and I am thinking about adding 2 subwofers(one for each channel).

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 80
So Billy what are the 'best' Hifi speakers you have used

Username: Deepakgang

Post Number: 5
Hi how about Quad 11ls or Dali Concept 2s ?

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1004
The Quads 11L are excellent. I have not heard the Dali.

For "around" $500 you may want to stretch your budget a bit to consider picking up the last fully finished pair of Alegria Audio Emmas available http://www.alegriaaudio.com/Emma.htm , if not you may want to consider waiting for the AV123 X-LS SWG or X-Pro to be released.

Silver Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 115
Well i got the paradigm mini's v5. Placement was a little more ticky than i thought. But when i listen to them in their sweet spot they are quite nice. Right now though i'm seriously looking at second pair of bookshelves in the coming months. Prob the Era Design 4 or even 5's or secondly the nht classic 3's. Anyway i'm my hk 3380 won't do the job with those 6ohm power hungry speakers so here are the three options i was looking at
1) Music Fidelity A3.5 (discontinued i've been told but nice power/sound price a little outta my range)
2) Music Hall Mavern (price and power) not too sure about the the brand
3) Nad c372 i think it would be the steal of three not sure how it will match with the era and my existing paradigms
4) use my hk3380 as a pre-out get an used rotel amp

Just wondering guys what your opinions are???

Silver Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 116
any thoughts guys???

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 263
I would say finding a preowned MF 3.5 or if you want, try out a pre-owned NAD 372 - the beauty with owning pre-owned gear is that if you can find a good deal on Audiogon or Ebay, of a unit that is like new, you can then try it out in your system- if for whatever reason it doesn't work out- you can throw back up on A-gon or Ebay and get back what you originally paid or pretty close.

Silver Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 117
Ok thanks for the suggustion was looking at a demoed MF3.5. Have not heard much about them other than the talk about their good sound quality and power. I would buy more pre-owned(used) stuff just that well i'm located outside the US and warranty is prob dont like the thought of buying a lemon and shipping down here is murder!!!!

any thoughts on the music hall mavern??? or the nad???

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 264
I think you should pick up an NAD 372. I really like that amp a lot. Also, I would look at the Jolida stuff. I just picked up their 1501RC hybrid integrated amp today and am very impressed how what a difference it's made in my system. Check them out you can't go wrong.

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 265
I forgot to mention, that you may have better availibility with the NAD over the Jolida stuff.
Stereophile class B rated, the 372 should serve you well. If you can find Jolida, then check them out as well.

Silver Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 118
Any thoughts about the MusicHall mavern??? Just how good is the MF 3.5 vs lets say the nad

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 266
no thoughts on the MF. The NAD is a Stereophile Class B rated component, which is good. I dont think you can beat it as for a powerful integrated amp. NAD has that segment wrapped up.
Get one and see what you think of it. I personally think you're going to fall in love with it's sound!! EYE OF THE TIGER MY FRIEND!!!

Silver Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 119
Was quoted at 750 for one new??? is that a good price

Silver Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 120
Hey i just saw the CA 740A on avhifi.com looks nice!!!! But how does it sound lol

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 267
yes good price. I just bought a Jolida 1501RC for $500 on Audiogon that blows away my old Cambridge 640a I can't believe how amazing this amp sounds!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us