A few choices for bookshelf

juscheckin
Unregistered guest
ok, so I'm out in the sticks not near any dealers and being cheap anyway, I'm going to order online. saw a few models without factory warranty of course, from places like audiophile liquidators and sound city. wanted to narrow it down from :
kef q1
psb b25
klipsch r35 or possibly the r75
and elac-- a brand from germany that audiophileliquidators had
I've got a modest room, like 10x20, running sony $350 ht receiver rated at 100wpc

and of course there are the regular assortment of polk and infinity, but I'm leaning to the above, to be had at about 400-500 bucks unless you say otherwise or know some new deals out there...listen to all sort of music cept metal. thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 440
Here's a long list of excellent speakers:

1. Wharfedale Diamond 9.2/$499
2. Monitor Audio Silver S2/$499
3. Totem Dreamcatchers/$450
4. B&W DM601 S3/$450
5. PSB Image B25/$449
6. Monitor Audio Silver S2/$399
7. Alegria Audio Lings/$389
8. B&W DM600 S3/$350
9. Wharfedale Diamond 9.1/$349
10. PSB Image B15/$349
11. Monitor Audio Radius R90/$329
12. Alegria Audio Ling Single/$369
13. Ascend Acoustics CBM-170/$328
14. B&W DM303/$300
15. Epos ELS-3/$296
16. Athena Technologies AS-B2/$190
17. Wharfedale Diamond 8.2/$180
18. Wharfedale Diamond 8.1/$135
19. Athena Technology AS-B1/$119

juscheckin
Unregistered guest
that is a long list! thanks, that will give me more to research...of course I was trying to shorten the list; I do see that th psb brand mate is on your list, as I had seen the b25; but not the kef, which I thought had some followers, and of course the klipsch--any detractors or fans?

erererererer
Unregistered guest
Cris

Where can i get the Diamond 8.2 for 180? Are they new?

Thanks

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 441
http://www.buy.com/prod/Diamond_8_2_Monitor_Speaker_in_Black_Internally_Wired_wi th_Monster/q/loc/111/90123864.html

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 442
Use one of these coupons to save even a few more bucks
http://www.xpbargains.com/st_deals.php/Buy.com_coupons.htm

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 443
Number 6 on my list should be the MA Silver S1

serniter
Unregistered guest
That is a useful list for me too. Thank you.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 444
This is a list of speakers I've put together by:

A: Auditioning, auditioning, auditioning
B: Reading the reviews of ecoustic members I whose opinions I respect.

juscheckin
Unregistered guest
how would these speakers, as a group, compare to the next level, like $500-800--in other words, is it worth to upgrade to speakers like the paradigm studio 20, the better totems, etc (got a list at every price Chris?!) I would be willing to increase budget if it's worth it (and after seeing all the speakers going over 2k on audiogon, etc, it still feels like I'm cheap and under budget!) thanks again

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 445
This list was provided to me by Tawaun a few months ago:

1. Odyssey Epiphony $595
2. Ohm Micro Tall $1000
3. Epos M12.2 $895
4. Epos M5 $650
5. Dynaudio Audience 42 $850
6. Epos ELS3 $299
7. Paradigm studio 40 $900
8. Totem Dreamcatcher $450
9. Von Shriekert VR 1 $1000
10. Usher HTS 520 $500
11. Paradigm Studio 20 $650
12. Algeria Audio Lings $349
13. Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 $349
14. Wharfedale Diamond 9.5 $600
15. B&W DM 602 S3 $600

The Paradigm Studio 20 is the best speaker in the $500-$800 range IMHO. Alegria Audio's Emma at $599 might be another choice given its great reviews.

I'd like to know if anybody has A-B'd these two?

Bronze Member
Username: Patnshan

Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 22
You can get a speaker said to be quite similar to the Studio 20's, albeit a little uglier (OK, a lot), in the ascend 170. It is less than $350/pair.

Pat

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 509
I will jump the gun with the paradigms again and also give kudos to the studio 20's and 40's!!!

I will also add another speaker to that list:

Onix Rocket RS250 MKII

This speaker has an amazing Vifa ring radiator tweeter, with a custom designed long throw mid-woofer. I have heard nothing but good things about these speakers, and the company is GREAT to deal with. They have been nothing but pleasent to deal with when I was making inquires myself about other products.

here is the link to the speaker.

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=2.1

it currently comes in a BEAUTIFUL rosewood, a limited edition red ebony, and the "typical" dark ebony.

this is the link to the speakers in red ebony:

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=47.1

they are both priced at $599 a pair

Karin K
Unregistered guest
Any similar lists of good floor speakers for under $500? Better to stay with bookshelf in this range

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 518
karin,

I started a thread for you, hopefully you will start seeing some responses in it. It is the one with floorstanding speakers under $500 in the link

Karin K
Unregistered guest
Thanks Gavin.

Bronze Member
Username: Mnr3

Post Number: 16
gavin,
do you have any experience with the onix rocket, or for that matter, the reference 1, which is available with their amp for really great price? (anyone else care to comment on onix, speakers or electronics?)

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 525
no I don't...

I apologise for not stating that in this thread. Most of the members know that I dont have experience with their speakers, but reccomend them on what I have heard about them. Onix is possibly the only brand that I do this with, because of that wonderful tweeter, and that people that own it state that it is awesome for jazz, vocal, acoustic and instrumental pop music(not to say it can't rock). That is my primary "sit down to listen" taste.

about a year ago, I was making inquiries to them about if their amps would drive my magnepans, which are notorious for their power requirements. Had I not found a rotel amp at a steal of a price, I would hae jumped the gun and bought their 120 watt intergrated, which would have been more than enough for me and my listening habbits.

They were super to me on the phone, being very pleasent to deal with, and have a great return policy. So, all I can say is that if you are in the least bit tempted to take the plunge into higher end equipment, that particular combo is going to be really worth a listen.

from what I have heard about those speakers from people that own them on other forums, they are truly marvelous.

I myself have a heavy preference for planar-magnetic and electrostatic speakers, but I wouldn't hesitate to check these out myself. Im sure they have a different sound (different drivers...no brainer), but they are very high on my list of products to audition

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 526
no I don't...

I apologise for not stating that in this thread. Most of the members know that I dont have experience with their speakers, but reccomend them on what I have heard about them. Onix is possibly the only brand that I do this with, because of that wonderful tweeter, and that people that own it state that it is awesome for jazz, vocal, acoustic and instrumental pop music(not to say it can't rock). That is my primary "sit down to listen" taste.

about a year ago, I was making inquiries to them about if their amps would drive my magnepans, which are notorious for their power requirements. Had I not found a rotel amp at a steal of a price, I would hae jumped the gun and bought their 120 watt intergrated, which would have been more than enough for me and my listening habbits.

They were super to me on the phone, being very pleasent to deal with, and have a great return policy. So, all I can say is that if you are in the least bit tempted to take the plunge into higher end equipment, that particular combo is going to be really worth a listen.

from what I have heard about those speakers from people that own them on other forums, they are truly marvelous.

I myself have a heavy preference for planar-magnetic and electrostatic speakers, but I wouldn't hesitate to check these out myself. Im sure they have a different sound (different drivers...no brainer), but they are very high on my list of products to audition

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 527
sorry for the double post... my network is being wierd today

Dave Dini
Unregistered guest
Anyone know how the Mission m30, m31 or m32 match up to these speakers (currently on sale at Amazon)?

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 447
Dave,

The Mission M32i @ $175 (There is ONE pair left at Amazon.com!) are a steal! Gobble them up while you can. Strong, snappy bass, translucent holographic soundstage, I love them. They are THE best value around IMHO.

The M31i @ $120, from what I've read, posses some of the same qualities, with a bit less impressive bass.

I don't know much about the M30i, but I assume they would make some solid rears.

juscheckin
Unregistered guest
thanks for all the post guys,
I'm kinda leaning towards, in descending order of price:
epos 12.2 $800
paradigm studio 20 $800
onix rocket $600
psb b25 $450
any other comments on various merits of these? I guess my sony might be considered bright, doesn't seem so with my current speakers (wharfedale 7.2), but I may get a better amp down the road for 2 channel and leave the sony in ht set up
...seems the psb is best deal, have heard good things of course bout paradigm, but could get the epos at similar price would love to hear comments about any of these. thanks!

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 448
Justcheckin,

You can do better those prices. If you don't see it, ask.
www.dependableaudiovideo.com ask for Tony.

Username: Uback007

Post Number: 1
Hey everyone...I am also in "shopping/researching" mode having just started my search last weekend. I listened to B&W 600 S3's and yesterday the Paradigm Titan's -I really liked both of the speakers a lot. The Titan's are larger in size than the B&W's and cost less..$249.00 a pair vs. $350.00 a pair for the B&W's. One thing I did not particularly like was that I could not take off the grill on the Titans and I could with the B&W's - As far as size is concerned, the B&W 601's would actually be more equal to the Titan's but they are $450.00 a pair. I did hear them when I heard the 600's and thought that with a subwoofer, there was not really a need to go up in size and get the 601's as the 600's sounded great. Any other speakers that really deliver for the money? I want to hear the Epos ELS3 but I cant seem to find anyone that has them in town..(Columbus, Ohio)
Thanks in advance for your help!

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 373
Energy C-200

http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/products/product-page.php?id=293
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us