Speaker wire sub woofer to pre out hookup

Username: Zemer

Post Number: 1
I have an older sub that came with a home theatre in a box that only has speaker wire hookups and no power hookup. I am considering purchasing a new receiver with a pre out sub connection only. Is there any way to hook the sub up to the receiver or do I need to purchase a new sub. I know I SHOULD purchase a new one, but for right now, do I NEED to buy one. I am thinking of buying the Yahaha HTR-5860.

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 149
I would recommend purchasing a new sub. Most of the "subwoofers" that come with HTiB systems are simply the woofers that the main speakers lack.

A great increase in the bass quality would be seen from the purchase of a new woofer.

Also, the bass signal from surround sound formats, be it music or film, are sent out the cable connection to the subwoofer. To utilize the full capabilities of a surround sound receiver, you need to have a subwoofer with this "line level" input. This is the ".1" in the surround format. The subwoofer has its own channel.

Username: Zemer

Post Number: 2
Thanks Gavin. If i don't buy a new sub is there anyway of hooking up the old one to the receiver?

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 174
yes, through the speaker level outputs.

However, it was matched to the speakers that came with your old HTiB system, and has a set crossover. More than likely, it will cross over much too high if you try to use it with a good set of mains, and will make the overall sound worse instead of better.

You would be better off scrapping the sub and starting fresh.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us