Upgrading my Sub -- Your Thoughts

Username: Alderash

Post Number: 9
Hi,

I'd like to upgrade my sub for an even split of movies and music. My budget is around $500.

I've heard good things about HSU and SVS. Any other comparable brands? I know I'm asking for personal opinions here, but in order to get a shortlist together, which brand/model would you suggest?

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 1022
You could build one, otherwise I like SVS. I'd recommend one of these two for your budget.

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-cyl-pcpow2.cfm
http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-pb12nsd.cfm

You can also look at the site. I like the cylinders since they have a little better Price/performance ratio, but I like the dual driver box subs for their abilities as well.

Post Number: 10
I'm using an H/K AVR-635 . . . is that enough to power one of the SVS subs?

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 1027
The subs power themselves. You just need to run a cable from the subwoofer pre-out to the in of the sub. IF course you need to pick out a sub first.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 120
if you like loads of bass, you will like SVS. I myself don't really care for the sound they produce. IMHO, quite bloated, and perfect for HT explosions, but ill suited for music that requires pacing, like jazz.

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1107
Brad:

I just upgraded my sub to the Hsu STF-2, and now I am kicking myself for waiting so long! The sound is sooooo clean and goes sooo low that I am simply amazed. My previous major brand sub was ok, but it suffered from bloat, IMO, and although I was constantly adjusting it, it never seemed to be right. I adjusted the Hsu just once and it has been right for numerous movies and music program material I have played since I got it. I can drive the HSU very hard and it never "bottoms out" (audible distortion caused by the speaker cone reaching the end of its excursion limit--a common problem). Without question, the Hsu is the best bang for the buck subwoofer on the market. I have been looking at subs from Paradigm, B+W, NHT, KEF, Sunfire and PSB, and IMO the Hsu is twice the performance for half the price.

I cannot speak about SVS as I have not heard one in a couple of years, but you should also look into the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 which was also designed by Dr. Hsu. I am sure it will sound as good as the Hsu.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 336
I actually ordered a SVS PB10-NSD here and am expecting it tomorrow. I can give my impressions of it at least compared to a half dozen others or so that I have listened to ranging from the Martin Logan Dynamo (a bit less power/depth to it due to the size, but draws no attention to itself and performs well) to the Klipsch Sub 12 (owned this for a few months once, had a rattle...), not to mention my mains, which are capable of solid bass response on their own.

One might also note that the NSD line seems to be improved at least in as much as the 10 is concerned with internal bracing (the original ISD didn't have any), as well as a new driver.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3865
The ISD was awful, I hope the new and improved performs well for you.

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1124
Stephen:

Looking forward to your impressions of your new sub!

Silver Member

Post Number: 127
Art,

Was it you that stated the SVS designers swore that there were no performance differences between the sealed and ported subs in the lineup?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I'm kind of leaning towards the HSU VTF-2 MK 3 now. My only concern is whether it will fit below my screen.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3866
They stated that the only performance difference was overall extension and volume. They stated that the ported sub would outperform the sealed one and that the only reason to own their sealed sub would be space or spouse considerations. They also stated that there would be no difference in speed and articulation....to that I said "I'm sorry to hear that".

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
HAHAHA. What did they say when you apologized?

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1355
I notice a massive difference in my current sealed sub over (different manufacturer and model to be fair) my old ported one. Less thumpy (inaccurate but great wow factor) and more controlled with much lower extension.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3867
He sighed like I just couldn't possibly understand what he was talking about..he didn't know that I owned one of his subs. It was taking up about 2/3 of the available cubic feet in my living room. At least the ports helped with air circulation.

Silver Member

Post Number: 151
you mean you went back to using your SVS before you bought the Dynamo?

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 337
Welp so far so good. I have to say this sub is a lot bigger than I expected, especially since it is the entry level model. Anyways, for the preliminary info, unlike Art's experience with SVS, the sub was packed very well, with double boxes and good foam padding. I doubt anything the UPS folks could do short of dropping it off the top of a building could really hurt this thing.

Haven't had the opportunity to really test her out, but there are no notable cabinet vibrations at *normal* volumes, although it does ring a little more hollow to a knuckle rap than I'd really like.

More later!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3869
No Gavin I was rid of the SVS long ago.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3870
Stephen, SVS treated me very well. I have no problems with how they handled the return of the sub.

Silver Member

Post Number: 152
I thought you returned it.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5614
SVS claim to be good at accepting returns, provided you give an accurate description for the return. Good to know that is true, Art.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 338
Out of curiosity, how was your sub placed/set up Art?

Currently I've got it about 8 inches from a rear wall (not corner loaded, by the left speaker. X/O is at 60Hz, with gain about half up, and no adjustment for volume on the receiver.

When I get home this afternoon, I'll fool around with it a bit more, and maybe check a few items on the construction if anyone is interested.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3873
I don't have room for an actual corner placement.

http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/s/f/1165794470.jpg

That's a picture of my system. I had the SVS in 3 different places. Where the Martin Logan is now, where the turbtable is and where the speaker is on the same side of the system where the turntable is now. I had it at several different distances from the back wall. It never integrated. I'm not sure whether the next model up would have performed better but at that size it didn't matter..it had to go.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 340
I can definitely understand the size problem. The PB10 was a good bit bigger than what I was anticipating. As far as integration goes though, I seem to have mine blending in fairly well with the mains at this point. The only adjustment I really needed to make was turning the gain down to about a quarter of the way to get what seems to be accurate bass to my ear.

Now one thing I wonder about Art, is originally how you mentioned that your SVS was directional. I think I might know what you mean, but it isn't that the sound its making is directional for me, so much as the massive size of the damned thing simply draws my attention and I know exactly where the bass is coming from.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3875
Size certainly matters...lol!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5633
hehehe
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts