12" dayton titanic, no amp, no box

Username: Bdr1117

Michigan USA

Post Number: 5
my amp fried and the box i had was 3 cuft, way to big for the wife. i could get the amp repaired ($70), build a smaller box, ported maybe instead of sealed? but im wondering if all this would be worth it considering id like to get a pair of magnepan mmgw's and i know ill need a great sub to match. i can swing the $70 for amp repair, and the $300 for the mags, but a really nice sub, like a sunfire, is out of my range for now. will the new sub do ok for now, and if so, what should my enclosure specs be?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9659

"my amp fried and the box i had was 3 cuft, way to big for the wife."

How big a box do you need to fit your wife inside?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5533
hehehe

Michigan USA

Post Number: 7
u dorks, my wife laughed her @$$ off tho, now i can build a smaller box, lol?

anyways, any real suggestions? also i think i will get the larger mmg's so i can get a bit more volume.

Bronze Member

Michigan USA

Post Number: 21
ok, anyone out there care about me? cauz i have another question....

i downloaded a generic subwoofer box calculation program (AJ Sealed Designer 2.0) and it asks me for all the t-s values, i know all the parameters, except QTc, and i cant seem to figure out what value to put in for it.

please help !!!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9741

Contact Parts Express, the retailer for Dayton products. They sould be able to supply the technical numbers you'll require. They can probably even tell you what size box, port, etc., you will need.

Bronze Member

Michigan USA

Post Number: 22
easy enough, thanks!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Leonski

Post Number: 54
Qtc is a number YOU enter. It is the total 'Q' of the system...driver and box. It will typically fall between .5 (tight bass) and over 1 for more boomy bass. The 'theoretical' perfect number is .707
I have played with this program, probably for the same reason YOU have! But I am thinking about 'winspeakerz' or getting a book and writing my own EXCEL spreadsheet.
You also may end up measuring your new woofer to 'fine tune' the manufacturers specs. Depending on who does the build, the TS parameters run from dead on to throw a dart. Memory fails me, but you will need AT LEAST a good DVM and a signal generator for these measurements.
That being said, the numbers from the Dayton retailer will be close enough for government work and can be tuned by ear....a little stuffing more or less in the final enclosure.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6534
707...didn't Steve Miller get on one of those?

If you don't get it, yer a pup.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
Yep, buddy holly was driving and Big Bopper was in the 2nd seat.
I think Mamie Van Doren was the Flight Hostess.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6554
Leo, you da man!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6555
And Willie Nelson was left out.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
He'll make the next flight.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
Nuck, I was just reminded of something by none-other than the Immortal BB King.
'Nobody Loves me but my Mother'.....'and she could be jiven' too!'

Bronze Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 92
Too bad Stevie Ray got on the wrong flight as well...so many there that night that COULD have taken that seat.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
ok...maybe that wasn't fair.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
And Brian, don't forget the port. Wife's gonna need some air, man.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
And another thread spirals out of control.....as if I was blameless!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6576
Lots of threads to go around, leo.

Stryvn, SRV went down in a 4 seater chopper.

Google the million dollar quartet.
Look for the liner notes.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6577
leo, good post back there.
You into speaks a lot?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
Nuck, I research for a hobby. When my 'cube' died and was replaced, I wanted to fix the cube and use it as a sub amp. My maggies give up around 50hz or so. So I started looking into what and how much etc...it would take to build such a beast.

I've damaged people at trivial pursuit and they won't play any more.....with me at least.

I've had friends who built there own and both had real good results. One guy used Radio Shackup stuff and got good results on a budget. Last I heard from RiceBall, he was buying VanDanHull silver cables and was a true addict.
Headly built a real monster 3-way using EV components (not VOT) and a sand filled enclosure it took 2 men and a boy to move. This thing'd play loud and clear....he had several requests to build more but people wimped out when they heard the price.
As for me, I think that a pair of HSU entry models would do fine. good response to 25hz or so and a reasonable footprint. I think a pair for 500$ will produce better in-room response than a SINGLE unit for 500->600$ and have less chance of standing waves / peakiness
The good news is that I am just down the road from the good Doctor who is frequently available for a chat and consult. Once set on this course, I'll call ahead, go up to OC and pick up a pair.
I can't possibly duplicate this for the money.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us