Bass, B-Bass Bass

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 786
If you could get a hold of an 18" driver with a 75cm+ (yes, CM) Xmax and (somehow, someway) a sensitivity of 110dB that were designed for an infinite baffle placement AND could handle whatever wattage you threw at it with (within reason) extra low distortion below 1% until it hit it's xmax and you could install in your house and use it for whatever for a mere $200 would you do it?

I'd put some wattage (enough to constantly drive to Xmax) all 50 of them in a wall with a test tone at the resonant frequency of the room (say 31hz) and RUN FOR COVER!!!! Earthquake! Man so many neighbors would call the police...

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 363
Lol I think you need to get out more:-) , Oh and yes i would do it:-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 790
I suppose that's too much. Maybe I should be asking what you'd build for a home subwoofer system if you had $1 million to do it with. Well, I know I'm going to start working on that right now. After that, I'm going to start planning on my REAL system, not all this hullaballoo!

Ok I should specify on the room you had to do it in as well... it's dimensions are L/W/H 21/14/11. Good luck lol. Remember that doesn't mean you have to spend the whole million.

Silver Member

Post Number: 791
I'd start putting a rotary woofer on each wall. $100k w/accessories & all

Now I'd grab 3 Krell MRA's to power the main drivers for 20hz + bass region. $400k

Now I'd get a bunch of 8" drivers (200) at about 2.5k each, then cover the walls with them to create an infinite baffle system with giant rooms behind them (they were already there)

$500k w/cabling and discount

Now you can do a sine sweep from 1-250 hz at full power with 100,000w+ from each MRA at the impedance you give them could probably wreak havoc on anything in the room...

Now it's time to work on my actual setup and quit dreaming!

Yeah I got some discounts on that setup...

Silver Member

Post Number: 804
Hey, I setup my receiver to only power the JBL 4311s (LR surrounds) and when I tried to get any decent bass I heard heavy distortion. Now this is weird as my old Scott amp can push the drivers in and out pretty far for some good bass. These are also higher sensitivity than my mains. Could it be my Yamaha HTR-5740 has weak surround channels? It can definitely push the mains pretty hard.

The Yamaha costs $299 new.
The Scott (back then) cost $499 new.
The JBL's cost $700/pair back then.
Is it the fact that the Scott amp is of better quality? If so, I better bring it in and use it for the surround channels (I found no preouts on the Yamaha, actually) if that's the case. Maybe I should convert the JBLs to mains along with the others.

I see a new processor and amp in the future...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us