Problem with standby

Username: Noobthatsme

Post Number: 1
I recently got a Mitsubishi M-SUB200 from someone who got a new system and didn't need it anymore. I have it hooked up using coax cable to the Pre-out on the back of my reciever (the sub is powered, obviously). Now, whenever I listen to a source, the sub works for about three minutes then goes into standby. I then have to "wake it up" by using the test tone on my reciever which then lets the sub work for another three minutes. I've tried some things that I've read by looking around in other posts, such as setting the front, center, and right speakers to small, but nothing's worked so far. What do I need to do in order for the sub to stay on the whole time I am listening to a source? The reciever I am using is a Sherwood RD-6500 (Hey, I'm only 15, so I had to find something inexpensive.)
Thank you!

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12393
Why are you using a coax cable?

Try using a regular RCA cable.

Post Number: 2
Okay- I tried using the RCA cable and the exact same thing happened. It did last a little bit longer before going into standby, though. What should I do now?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12395
What are your sources? DVD player, CD player, etc? How are they connected? Digital coax/digital optical?

Is the receiver set to "Auto Detect"?

Check the set-up of your speakers, see if the indicators are showing that you have a sub connected to the receiver.

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1267
The plate amp is bad in my op. Signal sensing should not go off automatically.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12401
Very well could be the problem, so we have to rule that out as well.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5209
John, use the speaker level inputs to the sub.

Post Number: 3
Do you mean instead of having the RCA cable go to the sub, use the speaker level inputs, or do you mean for me to use both the RCA input and the speaker level inputs?
If I use the speaker level inputs, would I need to have the speakers also come out of the sub? I'm really aiming for loud bass (it's almost turned up all the way) so If I used the speaker level inputs the speakers themselves would probably be louder than I want them (Unless I can adjust that through the reciever... can I?). Could I just "double up" on two of the outputs of the reciever and use those, but not have speakers connected to the output of the sub so that I could still adjust the speakers using the reciever? Or would it work better to use the outputs on the sub, too? Thank You!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5219
John, using the speaker level inputs to the sub will mean no rca to the sub, just speaker wire.
Adjust the front speakers on the receiver to normal or small, then let the sub take up the rest.

Post Number: 4
That fixed it! Thanks for helping me out.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5413
OK. Help someone else in need today, call it square.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us