Component stacking order?

Username: Ecos

New Zealand

Post Number: 1
Hi To All.

I was not sure where to post this. Hope this spot is ok.

I am wondering if there is a correct way of stacking stereo equipment in a cabinet. I am a bit worried about the heat from the amplifier.

I am proposing to stack them thus:

amplifier (top)
tuner
tape deck
cd player (bottom)

Is this the usual way? And particularly can the amplifier be anywhere?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5194
Hello GB, welcome.
Amp (or receiver) cooling is the place to start, as you have. If the amp runs very hot, even the top mount may not be enough, depending on head space in the cabinet.
I have had to place a receiver on top of the cabinet for cooling.
Also, I once used a 4 1/2" holesaw(sixed for a cooling fan) in the wooden top of a friends cabinet, at the rear, above the sinks. He put cd's in front of the hole.
Once that's done, we can look at isolating the cdp.

Hope that helps.

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 639
Knock Knock Knockin on heavin's door, Hey hey hey yeah. Sorry about that, I'm off to school now.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your informative post Nuck. So I have the amp in the right place. How does one judge whether the amp is getting too hot?

Isolating the cd player. This sounds a good idea. Wondering how I could do this, short of taking it out of the cabinet?

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1026
gb,

If you can fry eggs on the amp it's probably too hot

Seriously, is your cabinet closed in? If so a small silent fan to withdraw air out from the top vents and create circulation might be in order. Otherwise forget the cabinet and get an open rack.

Hang on, you're a kiwi - does it get warm there in NZ at all?

New Zealand

Post Number: 3
Hi M R

I have taken the glass door off the cabinet and there is a hole in the back of it (about 15 inches square). The amp has about 2 inches of headroom above it.

And yes it does get warm here sometimes - about equivalent to Tasmanian warmth.
:-)

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1027
gb,

I saw the temp was in the late twenties in Dunedin the other day - they must have been dropping in the streets. Kidding of course, I was there in July/August several years ago and almost froze my b... off. A bit of a change for a Queenslander.

Anyhow, your cabinet should be fine with the layout you describe, just check the amp carefully with your hand on top to be sure it doesn't get too hot. The louder you listen the hotter it'll get. And as hot air rises your other components should be okay. Are they on shelves or stacked upon each other? If the latter, make sure the lower units can handle the weight. Good luck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us