Bridging Non-Bridgeable Amps

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 483
Now listen here. I know there are amps that say they are non- bridgeable. I have an old amp (like 2000)that has 6 channels of 50 watt outputs but it's only stable at 6 ohms. If I were to run a bass signal to the amp that were indentical in both channels and ran it so all the channels put out the same signal, would it be possible to wire it like this to keep the load at like 6 ohms or so, but increase the power? I still don't quite understand bridging or amps for that matter.
Anyway here's what I was thinking.

Upload

By what I've learned that would present about 6ohms to the amp with an 8ohm speaker. I'm not too sure though. Also, I don't really know why an amp is not bridgeable in the first place.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9538

KABLOWEEEE!

Amplifiers that do not share a common ground cannot be bridged. Some amplifiers that share a common ground but split the power supply into distinct channels of regulation cannot be bridged since they have different ground potentials. I'm not sure how you came up with your diagram but what you've drawn is a dead amplifier walking. This does not represent a six Ohm load. You are confusing paralleling speakers with doing damage to the amplifier channels.

Silver Member

Post Number: 496
Thanks for telling me
Don't need a blown amp. We can use those channels to power individual loads all the same signal though I hope.

Silver Member

Post Number: 502
I've got another question. If I get a 5 channel amp that can handle DC would it be able to handle bridging?

I'm curious about that.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9542

I don't understand "can handle DC". Is this an amplifierthat runs off DC or that lets DC pass through its outputs. Either way, it has nothing to do with whether an amp can be bridged.

Silver Member

Post Number: 510
Oh, well it means that it can handle DC output without getting damaged. It says on the site it can handle "1 ohm, even DC" so basically it can make the driver go out and stay there I guess.

Silver Member

Post Number: 511
Hey I was searching through the Archives and found that one from about 3 years ago where they asked about if they could bridge amps together for big power, you remember that don't you? You know, before you registered?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9546

There were several. You'll have to be more specific.

Silver Member

Post Number: 515
This one!

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/109689.html

I hope that helps

Username: Thecrypt

Post Number: 2
What's bridging?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9549

Place "amplifier bridging" into a search engine or, alternatively, try "audio definitions" and look under "B".
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us