What people buy

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 451
Well, this is about the performance of the subwoofers that people who buy the cheapest($100 or below), people who buy the normal($100-$700), upper priced($700-$1700), people who buy high priced($1700-$7000), and people who spend a LOT($7000 up) on subwoofers.

I basically want people to explain the differences in each price range including:

Extension
Spl
Sound quality
Connectivity
Looks
Designs
How much of the sales go to each type
Features
How well they integrate with different level systems
The absolute best compared to the absolute worst subwoofer

Thanks for your responses!
Don't forget to take a look at my thread regarding what to get (more is explained there:The right subwoofer)

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9537

Price has no determined relationship to any of the qualities you've listed.

Is there a $7k plus subwoofer?

Silver Member

Post Number: 470
The Wilson Audio Watchdog, The Thigpen Rotary Woofer, Krell Reference Subwoofer, a lot of commercial subwoofers (large theaters, this organ subwoofer my uncle sells).

They DO exist! I'm sure there are a lot more.

Silver Member

Post Number: 471
The top REL subs, The Velodyne Digital drive 1812, all those top subs.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12152
"I basically want people to explain the differences in each price range..."

"Price has no determined relationship to any of the qualities you've listed"

Enough said!

Why do you want people to explain this to you anyway?

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 264
Ive owned just about every price range you've mentioned, and I think the biggest difference in the price ranges, are 1) frequency responses, ie. how low will it play 2) musical, ie. how well and how fast it can reproduce quick bass notes, or say a double kick drum 3) integration options, how well it plays with others, or how easy to dial in 4) looks.
In no way does that cover it all, but there is most definitely a difference in quality bass that a 2500+ sub offers, that a sub(no pun intended) 2500. sub offers.
What I personally notice the most about the more expensive subs I own (or have owned) is that there is no "coloration" from the box, no excess boominess, or false lows. And the quickness of a good sub is not (from my experience anyways) delivered from lower end subs.
Some lower end subs do real well with HT though, actually most, but they struggle when it comes to music playback.
If I missed something, and I'm sure I did, someone will surely let me know!
BTW, my order of differences is in no way a corolation of what is most important to each individual, but for me, I like quick, and accurate, with a punch in the gut!

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 265
As I move towards "gold"!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us