Sub placement

Silver Member
Username: Bill984

Post Number: 167
i have a 50" plasma sitting on a stand that is "caddy corner" sitting at about 45 degrees. i am getting a velodyne dls3500r. will it be ok placed behind the cabinet in the rear corner? the wife will have a coronary if i need to run it elsewhere.

Username: Muttly

St. Paul, MN America

Post Number: 2
I just joined this site and I barely have what could be categorized as a layman's knowledge of A/V but what the hell. Unshielded spkrs, placed to close, do nasty things to tube TV's. Not sure if plasmas are adversely affected by magnets. If so and the sub is not shielded, it could cause problems.

Silver Member

Post Number: 168
plasma is not affected by the magnets according to crutchfield and polk audio.

i was concerned about the sound getting out from behind the unit. it is a lrge space and has room for the sound to travel.

Username: Muttly

St. Paul, MN America

Post Number: 3
Hi bill, thanks for the info on plasmas and magnets, I haven't made the leap yet from my 32 inch mitsu. On the question of sound dispersion and sub placement, I have read, probably back in my stereo review days, that sub frequencies are omni-directional. Therefore, sub placement is not very important if at all.

My experience is with older equipment and I'm currently trying to find a way to drive an old but very solid passive sub with home theatre. So, as with anything i type here, take my knowledge on sub placement with a grain of salt.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 257
you will find placement determines the quality bass you get, and how it intergrates with your current setup. It may work behind your tv, and just the same it may not. Corners are typically the starting point, but can be boomy so volume control is a must. Subs dont usually work well in the center of a room, but can be done if integrated with floorstanders that also produce low frequencies, and/or you utilize more than one sub.
Maybe too vague of info for you, so I'll give you this. Take your time to setup your sub properly so that every seat in the room gets good quality bass, walk around your room after you've placed your sub behind the tv. See if its equally as good in all spots, if not, it needs to be moved, and could just be as simple as turning the sub to face a different direction(which would be easy and clean) then listen again. Take your time placing the sub, it will make a difference in how your system will ultimately sound.
Also, you dont want to know the sub is there, meaning it draws attention to itself, most friends of mine, and other systems Ive heard over the years have the wrong idea of what a good sub is, and it is not one that plays above everything else, nor is it one that can be pinpointed. All subs, IMO can be made to disappear when placed correctly, and with the proper volume, most always lower than 25 percent of the max volume.

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 253
Yeah^^^^

What he means by quality bass is bass that isn't louder or softer at once frequency than another. Basically, a flat response across the frequencies the subwoofer will be playing at and enough power to keep up with your mains will result in a good match(by what I've heard at least)

I would talk more about it but you could just go on and on and on about all the things.

Silver Member

Post Number: 174
my stand is 54" wide and the floor standing speakers are on both sides. i bought the velodyne 3750r 10" sub. i have space on the lower center shelf in my stand dead center of the speakers and tv. any thoughts on placing the sub there?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9569

BH - Just curious; other than domestic bliss, what would you expect to happen when you place the sub in this location?

Silver Member

Post Number: 176
every thing i read harps on putting it in a corner. i see it being pretty much the same inside a 3 sided area. i was just wondering if a smaller area may "muffle" the sound.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9571

Corner placement gives the effect of a horn loaded to the subwoofer by the two walls (and a floor). Now think of a horn with something stuck in the throat when you place the cabinet in the horn. Bass frequencies have very long wavelengths and they will certainly manage to get out into the room no matter where you place the sub. But these long wavelengths require space to open up or they become congested and you will hear the effects of closing them down.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your description and there will be nothing in front of the sub. If that's the case, and the driver fires into the room without obstruction, then you will have no particular problems other than posibly not having the best bass the sub can produce due to placement. If this is a media stand that has equipment sitting on it, then placing a sub on the stand with the equipment isn't a good idea due to vibration.

Do you have either a basement below or an attic above this room?

Silver Member

Post Number: 177
the stand has 3 shelves and a door on the left end and right end the center has a drawer at the top and 3 shelves that are open. on the left is a turntable on top, a reciever in the center and vcr on the bottom. the center has the drawer and the tv reciever(pioneer elite with seperate reciever) the sub would be on the bottom. the right side has the dvr on top, the dvd then the monster power center. the whole thing is in my basement.

Silver Member

Post Number: 178
the stand has 3 shelves and a door on the left end and right end the center has a drawer at the top and 3 shelves that are open. on the left is a turntable on top, a reciever in the center and vcr on the bottom. the center has the drawer and the tv reciever(pioneer elite with seperate reciever) the sub would be on the bottom. the right side has the dvr on top, the dvd then the monster power center. the whole thing is in my basement.
i do have plenty of room behind the stand that is why i bought a sub with a remote, so it would be easy to adjust it. but it would look great in the stand.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9572

The turntable certainly won't approve of that location. Probably the drawers and any loose shelves won't be that happy either.

At this point you indicate there are no other placement options. So, what are we supposed to say?

Silver Member

Post Number: 179
"i do have plenty of room behind the stand that is why i bought a sub with a remote, so it would be easy to adjust it. but it would look great in the stand"

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5139
Bill, you could try behind the stand, but sympathetic vibrations will still be high.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5140
Again, Bill, is there a storage or open space into your listening area?

Silver Member

Post Number: 184
i think i am going to put it under an open end table on the wall between the rear speakers. if i don't like it there i am going to try using a piece of styrofoam under it, to stop vibration, that came with it and put it in the stand. there is no storage area it is a concrete floor and finished basement. really my only options are behind the stand, in the stand or the rear wall. because the 2 220gallon aquariums in the room make rearranging furniture pretty tough.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5146
No I like the fish better over there, Hunny!

And the piano over there.

Go with the rear wall, Bill. Good call.

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1225
Fish tanks are fun to move, I moved four into this house I am living in now. Eventually sold three and just running one easy to maintain fresh setup that has a great balance so I don't have to swap water in it but two times a year.

As far as subwoofer placement and the WAF, that's what prompted me to finish the basement two years ago, got tired of asking permission to add gear or move around. Now it's called the "man room" and I can put pretty much do as I please. Sucks to share space with a wife who doesn't love this stuff as much as you or I do.

It helps to have a sub with phase adjustment (which most do) and even more advanced settings like parametric eq or boundry gain control. Behind the setup would be my first area of testing, but it may be a little boomy, best to test and test if possible.

Silver Member

Post Number: 185
thanks guys. the wife doesn't want me to move the tanks, she wants me to get rid of them.
the sub has 0,90,180,270 phase adj.

yeah, in the basement i have a 50"pioneer elite with a 5.1 set up. it's my cave. upstairs she has a 43" elite with a yamaha ysp-1100 sound projector because she didn't want "all those speakers all over the place".

Gold Member

Post Number: 5213
I dunno about the tanks. A lot of humidity in the room with the gear. Never a fan.
But them's good eatin'!

Bill did you settle the placement then?

Silver Member

Post Number: 192
YEAH, I HAD TO PUT IT ON THE WALL BETWEEN THE REAR SPEAKERS. BUT I HAVE A QUESTUION, WHEN YOU USE THE LFE OUTPUT TO THE SUB, DOES THE VOLUME CONTROL OF THE RECIEVER ALSO CONTROL THE VOLUME OF THE SUB?

Silver Member

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 698
It's supposed to.

Silver Member

Post Number: 193
thats what i figured but since the sub comes with a remote with volume control i was wondering.

Silver Member

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 701
I guess that's to make it easier to adjust it to movies and music.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5221
Both the receiver and the remote should work, I think.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9629

"Both the receiver and the remote should work .. "

Get things set up and put one of those two in a drawer.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5225
Set the amp volume at 25-35% and let the receiver signal do the rest. The sub signal gain is always available via the receiver.

Silver Member

Post Number: 194
the factory setting on the sub is 35% by default. i'll set it there and use the reciever to do the rest, thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 200
just watched "digital vdeo essentials" and while watching x men 3 yesterday my sub, set at 35% (factory default) would rattle the paintings on the opposite wall. but the video after explaining how the "lfe" out works said that you "probably don't want to use it for listening to music". then hqw are you supposed to use the sub for music and movies? the more i try to learn, the more confused i get.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9653

Did they explain why you "probably" wouldn't want to use LFE for music?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5493
'Probably 'not.

Bill,the full spectrum presentation to the sub will let the filter at the low unit do what they are meant to do, instead of the Bass management from the reciever or preamp.

Here is where it gets tricky.

Not all subs are built equally, of course.

The rolloff of the sub-amp is where the money shows up.
The best subs are a bit square and sharp with the roll-off, regular subs(while not bad) will run through a full octave, and sometimes more.
If the mains are matched, this matters not a whit, however matching this octave-plus is really difficult.
This is where matching timbre matters.

In the best case, a really good sub will 'manage' these transitions.

The aquariums, however are another matter.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5494
When you use the lfe outputs, you sre putting your faith in the receiver's(or preamps) designer.
That's fine, so long as you like the design.
When you send full range to the sub, you are putting your faith in the sub designer's hands, and he ain't been to your place lately.

Bottom line, most modern subs offer both, and outputs for the mains, so you get to pick and choose.

Try 'em all, it's free!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us