It's the amp, stupid

Gold Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1161
Not trying to be rude, just a little play on words from a recent presidential election.
Mostly, I'm trying to make the point that there is a difference in amplifiers regardless of what the "specs" say.
-rant mode on-
More than once I've been told that a certain amplifier is "good" because the wattage specifications are "conservative" and if it says 100w into 8 ohms it will perform better than that. Really folks, watts don't mean nothin'. Those wattage ratings are measured into a fixed resistive load, not into a dynamic load with changing impedance at multiple frequencies which is what a loudspeaker is.
Just because your $1000 MSRP A/V receiver is rated at 100w/ch doesn't mean it's going to sound good at all frequencies. I prove this everyday. I run my speakers with a typical "good" A/V receiver and they sound pretty good. I run them with my tube amp and suddenly there are more dynamics, more bass punch and just better overall sound. This is not an argument for tube vs. solid state. This is an argument for well designed amps with substantive power supplies vs. the run-of-the-mill mass market amp. The well designed amp with the substantive power supply will sound better regardless of the wattage spec or the THD spec.
When someone tests a pair of my speakers and then tells me "they just don't do it for me" and then tell me they're using an $80 CD player and a typical A/V receiver I want to scream.
When I read posts on this forum that say amps don't make a difference if they can produce a particular wattage into a particular load I have the same reaction.
-rant mode off-

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9525

Yeah, OK, but what about "speaker watts"? Like, like your speaker's gonna sound better than a 1000 watt speaker in my car!

Gold Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1163
Upload

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 338
lol

Silver Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 244
Meh!! My bro's 770w Sony owns you all.

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 189
Sure......sure
Lol ur profile says ur A/V system value is $1 quintillion.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4969
Good one Tim.
A speaker does in fact have one or more motors, by the definiton of a motor.
A motor is a device to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy.
Except this series of motors is unlike that found in a Maytag dishwasher, which cares very little about the quality of the energy it is fed.

A speaker, on the other hand will not do it's job properly if the electrical energy.......is.........bad.

And good electrical energy delivering a bad signal.......is.........bad.

Silver Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 245
$1 quintillion and counting. :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us