Hooking up 3 speakers - help

Anonymous
hello

i just received my JBL N38II Northridge speakers and i have one wharfedale valdus 500...

im runing a Sony STR-DE485 A/V Receiver that has 80 Watts x 5..

here is my question - i hooked up the wharfedale to one of the speakers open wire - so basically there is 2 speakers hooked up to one speaker connection. i did this because when using the wharfedale as a center speaker - it sounded terrible.

everything sounds great -
im wondering if everything will be ok with me doing this - ????

please let me know -

thanks

Derek
Sonys are not known for driving low impedence loads. The receiver may get a little hot, loose composure in the extreme bass and treble or, in the worst-case, that channel may die. If the Wharfedale doesn't sound good, you may as well disconnect it.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous
thanks for the reply

the wharfedale sounds good - when connected to the one speaker.

but is this safe . ?

to have two speakers going in one channel - and the other channel using one speaker . ?

i found something called "series & parallel wiring"

here is the link - http://www.knollsystems.com/serpar.htm

this is what im thinking i can do ? or not do?

thanks

Do not bridge with that reciever. The str-de485 will do best with an 8 ohm load. 1 - 8 ohm speaker will be 8 ohms. 2 - 8 ohm speakers wired parralel give you a 4 ohm load, difficult for that reciever to do for long peiods of time. Wired in series they give you 16 ohms, difficult to push. If they are both 4 ohms however you can wire them in series giving you 8 ohms, which sill work but I'd stick to 1 speaker anyway.

You should have been able to use the valdus as a center. It is 3dB more sensitive than the JBLs though it would benefit from more power. connecting the valdus to the center isn't 2 speakers so I'm not sure what you meant. If you connected the separate sets of binding posts separately all you did was bi-wire which wouldn't have changed the ohm rating. Where is each speaker set up now and how?

superfecta
Do not run unbalanced loads on your amp,bad news.I don't understand why you can't use the center channel output of your reciever,maybe it isn't working correctly(bad amp or wired up wrong?)could you explain how it "sounds terrible"?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us