HK3380 Vrs Entry Level Separates

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 257
As it stands currently, I'm using an HK3380 to drive a pair of Emma's full range. However, the receiver has its ehh, quirks shall we say. The right channel A speaker output died for no apparent reason yesterday and the front panel inputs never worked apparently. Beyond that, I frequently suffer from upgraditis. Previously I was considering obtaining a subwoofer and a receiver with bass management. Now that I've moved back to an apartment, that no longer seems feasible for me in spite of the fact that I share no side walls with anyone and I'm on the bottom floor. However, I would still like additional headroom & less distortion at high volume (about -5dB on the HK was where things turned bad). I would also like to see if I can improve dynamic punch at normal volumes, as well as see if I can retrieve a bit more detail. To this end, I've been looking at Audiosource preamps and amps and wondering if they might give me what I'm looking for. I've also been ogling NAD & Cambridge integrateds (although these are obviously a bit more than the Audiosource). Thoughts? Will Audiosource be a drop in quality from HK? Will upgraditis ever stop?

Gold Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1151
Is the Azur 640A within your budget?

Silver Member

Post Number: 258
Yup; this purchase is a ways off yet and I'll be listening to a few models to see if they deliver what I'm looking for, but I could see myself spending up to 1k if I felt what I got justified the expense.

Gold Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1152
Lots of choices then, and perhaps someone would care to offer their opinion on the 640A. I was just looking at the design and thinking it looks like a good match. Some have mentioned that it has good mid-bass power which you may like. Obviously, if you have a Cambridge dealer near you and they can let you bring in the Emmas....

Silver Member

Post Number: 259
Yeah, I practically live right next door to Tweeter, although I'm not hugely impressed by their customer service... They probably would let me fool around though.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4975
Let them let you take the shelf unit home to try it there. Overnight, anyhow. Long as your Amex covers it, just tell them other box stores do it.(advise, not being smart). I got stuff all the time, after the first.

Gold Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1169
How do you feel about tubes Stephen?
When I was tweaking the crossover for Emma I ran the speakers on different types of amps, 2 ch SS, 7.1 A/V receiver and tube. In my opinion, the amp that brought out the best character, dynamics and bass was the tube amp. EL-34 power tubes, 12AX7/12AU7 pre and a massive power supply. It's not available in the U.S. but a similar unit that is available is the Prima Luna Prologue 1.
http://www.upscaleaudio.com/product.asp?itemid=11

Silver Member

Post Number: 261
Can't really say I've experimented with tubes at all, but I'd definitely give them a shot.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4987
Re-read'massive power supply', Steven.

For ANY amp.

Silver Member

Post Number: 262
Well unfortunately I won't be able to listen to the Cambridge for a few weeks (Tweeter is having technical difficulties getting it to run apparently...), but I've got time to spare.

In the meantime, since I've been forced to switch to the B speaker outputs, it seems at least a few of my gripes have been taken care of. Seems the A outputs were a bit faulty. I suppose at some point in time I had better take her into the shop for repairs...

Gold Member

Post Number: 5042
Stephen, the front A and the other B are driven directly from the same output section. You might want to check your binding posts on the A.

Or just go with the B.

Merry Christmas and a Jolly New Year!

Silver Member

Post Number: 264
Well in any event, I'll likely get rid of the HK at some point. The reliability of the product isn't inspiring me to rely upon it much more in the future. With the speaker outputs it is likely faulty soldering or something, and I can only hope that the B outputs will work a little better in the meantime.

In any event, the main pro of all this occurring is that there has been a moderate shift in volume capabilities, such that the volumes I like to hear when moderately inebriated (always in moderation of course) are now readily available. I got to spend some time alone with Pink Floyd, The Who, and The Beatles yesterday to test that one out... This of course means that I am a lot more willing to look at amplifiers with an output range of ~40-80 watts rather than 200+ (as was the original plan). Conversely, if I could get a good enough amplifier that gave me all the punch and detail I seek without making me drive up the volume knob, so much the better for my hearing.

I guess the main thing I'm looking for now though is punch/dynamics. The Cambridge's extra mid-bass might well be what I'm looking for, although again thats a few weeks off from auditioning (and likely a lot longer for actually buying). Beyond the Cambridge and Prima Luna, what other integrated amps would be worth looking at (preferably in the 500-1000 price range)?

I guess I have one other inquiry at the moment as well. In terms of dynamics, how would say, the Cambridge 640 compare with the 540? By virtue of the 640 having more power handling, would that mean it has increased sound quality or not so much? If so, I'd rather save a buck or two.

Thanks for all your help so far guys, and Happy Holidays!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us