Plate amp dead, Velodyne

Username: Sciolli

Spokane, WA USA

Post Number: 1
I have a Velodyne "vlf series" plate amp that I have been using to power a 12" sub in a ported enclosure. It has worked great and sounded decent for about six months then, a couple days ago it was just dead. This death came with a STRONG electrical odor.
I opened up the amp and saw fuse was blown.
I then disconnected everything from the amp, replaced the fuse, flipped the power switch andBOOM. blew the fuse.
Then I unplugged the transformer from the board, replaced the fuse, and turned on the power. no blown fuse.

Any ideas on where to go from here?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4946
Shopping?

Username: Sciolli

Spokane, WA USA

Post Number: 2
I wish I were shopping. Just wondering if anyone can point me in a DIY repair direction. I hate to spend $ on subwoofers because they all seem to be unreliable POS's. Seriously, does anyone make a decent one that will work for more than six months? I have a set of Radio Shack speakers from 1979 that are beat to hell but still work like they did brand new. I've used several subs with plate amps and am considering just abandoning that idea all together. They all suck.
I just want to fix this one cheaply so I can (later) get a power amp and run a passive sub.
Sooooo....
Sorry about the rant, any ideas?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4949
Check with diyloudspeakers.com
or
partsexpress.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help