Hey, which speakers, athena or JBL

Silver Member
Username: Langless28

Boston, MA

Post Number: 654
hello, which speakers are best for my hk3480, the Athena AS-F2.2 or the JBL E80 3-Way, Dual 6" Floorstanding Speaker. i do want them to be lound, but have decent sound quality. mostly for music but sometimes i will listen to movies with them. thanks in advance

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11936
For the HK, I'd go with the Athena. It can be loud and I believe it has excellent sound quality than JBL.

It would be better if you can listen to them for yourself.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Oakland Park, Florida USA

Post Number: 445
I'd give you a great deal on my two year old Athena AS-F2s...too bright for my large room with vaulted ceiling and tile floor.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4877
Rick, you can attenuate the treble on those with a soft-dome changeout.

Silver Member

Post Number: 446
Huh? Do tell, Nuck.

I moved and the Athenas are not right for the room. I have area rugs covering much of the tile but I guess it's all that hard ceiling surface that's the problem.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4883
Rick, you could tune down the treble with taller crossover resistors, or an L-pad.

Silver Member

Post Number: 447
Hmmmm...thanks but I'm not about to open them up and mess with the crossovers...not that handy with the 'ol soldering iron.

Thinking about going out on the floorstanding speaker hunt again...something to mate with the NAD C370 integrated amp. Problem is that speaker audition rooms always seem to be "well padded", so to speak...not HARD like mine. Do I seak out "laidback" sounding speakers and hope that they will sound fine in my big bright room?

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 1104
I have JBL's and I would definitely keep away from them if I was working with a reflective/bright environment and wanted something a bit more warm. The company makes great speakers in my opinion, but they are bright to be sure.

Username: Luke2004

Post Number: 2
I was wondering, what would make a room a "bright" room. I am a newbie and am trying to learn all of the terms. My family room is a large room, 15 by 20 with a vaulted ceiling that starts at 9 feet and peaks at about 16 feet. My speakers will be on the wall that peaks at 16 feet high. It is a typical family room with window treatments(wood blinds), burber carpets, leather couches and lots of my wife's nick nacks. It is a "cozy" room. It does have a gas fireplace with a glass cover. The room is open at one end, which flows into the kitchen. There is a small half wall seperating the rooms. I am just starting the auditioning process and was in Tweeter last night. I listened to a few pairs and liked the JBL L890's. They sounded great to my ears, but the room I auditioned them in is very different than my room at home. I wonder how they would sound in my room ?

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 308
F2.2

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 1110
Tweeter usually has pretty dampened rooms in my opinion (and at my local store). I would guess that if you like them at the store and you want them, take them home and see. You can always return them if they don't sound good. Always best to audition at home in your listening environment if at all possible.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us