Frustrating turntable troubles that need fixin

Username: Kronos_16

Denton, Tx

Post Number: 1
Hey everybody,
Just from looking at the site it seems like there are lots of people with the knowhow for fixing phono problems, so i thought i'd throw mine out there:

I just bought some gear new off ebay this august wanting to learn how to spin and have fun with vinyl. I have tried running my setup through every speaker in the house but no matter what i do the sound is all distorted and muddy, sounding real rumbly on the lows and distorted on the highs. Here's my gear checklist:
-Stanton STR8-80 Digital output/phono turntable
-Numark TT200 turntable
-Behringer DX626 3 Channel Mixer
-Stanton S.250 CD deck
-Technical Pro PP-1000 Amplifier
-Gemsound speakers

I did the correct setup of: tables/cd deck>>mixer>>amplifier>>speakers, but no luck. I've tried every which way and still can't get it to work. I thought grounding the turntable could be an issue, but there is no ground wire or place to connect from the stanton to the mixer. Any ideas or suggestions? I'd really appreciate the help
Greg

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9440

Is your table the model with the built in phono pre amp?

Username: Kronos_16

Denton, Tx

Post Number: 2
it is the kind that has a digital output plug, and built in red/white phono cords coming out. I don't know if there's any sort of pre amp internally or anything

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9450

Where'd ya buy it?

Bronze Member
Username: Stevestar99

Dahlonega, GA

Post Number: 62
I'm not familiar with any of your equipment, but pretty good with old school TTs. The fact that the Stanton has a digital output would make me suspect it's got a pre-amp. You maybe over driving the mixer. How is the output of the TT relative to your CD deck. Set the inputs at the same level. Both the deck and the TT level should be at the same approx output levels. If you got the TT input turned way down as compared to the CD deck. Your double pre-amping. If the TT is turned way up, you need a pre-amp. If both track about the same in volume when you open and close the pots, the set-up should be rite. The other thing that comes to mind when I hear "lots of rumble and shattering highs" is a bad stylus. If you think you need a new stylus just go ahead and buy a whole new cartridge. I always use to keep a back-up. It seems like I was replacing them about once a year or every other party.

Username: Aelgifu

Post Number: 1
Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone has some advice for me. My record console is suddenly having problems. The speakers work when I have the radio on but when I put a record on I dont hear the music from the speakers anymore, just from the needle itself. I guess this means the turntable has been disconnected from the speakers, but its all incased, so I dont know how to reconnect them. I dont even know where they are disconnected for that matter.
Does anyone know how to fix this? Sorry, its really old and I cant even find a brand name or model on the thing.
Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us