Weights & Distortion

Username: Spaggyboy

Post Number: 1
Hi

Before we start I know nothing about vinyl players. OK good. I've just purchased a Bush MTT2 from ebay as a Xmas pressie for my Dad, he has loads of old 45's he's not been able to play in years. The player arived in good condition apart from there were no instructions. I knew this before I bought it but I didn't care as it's only a case of dropping on a disc right?

Wrong!

When the player arrived the counter weight had fallen off and I've put it back but with no idea as to what setting to put it on it's a bit of a mystery. I've already stratched one record due to the needle skipping across the record. Can anyone help me with that as I REALLY don't want Dad to stratch his records.

Secondly, I plugged the turntable into my amp (a Sony STR-DB795, a 100w Dolby 7.1 job) to test it and while I did get sound out, it was very distorted and crappy quality. Is this further evidence that I've bought a pile of crap or is there something I can do about this? I've tried different cables, different inputs (some seem better than others) and even a different stereo with aux inputs. I know my amp is fine.

A swift response is appreciated.

Cheers

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 778
What model cartridge is mounted on the arm? See if you can get information on the recommended vertical tracking force for the cartridge through an internet search. That is the info you need to set the counterweight. Also try contacting the seller to see if he/she has that information.

If you're unable to get that information, you can try to set the tracking force by sight and ear. Start by setting the tracking force around 2.0g. This is in the range of many modern cartridges, but not all. Place the stylus (needle) on a nonmoving record. Adjust the tracking force until there is some amount of flex in the stylus when it's dropped on the nonmoving record, but not so much that the cartridge body is almost touching the record surface. At this point, the stylus should be able to stay in the record groove. Now comes the hard part. Start playing a record, preferably one you know well. Finely adjust the tracking force until it's at the point that produces the best sound. Too little tracking force will result in distorted sound and mistracking/skipping. Too much tracking force can also result in distorted sound.

You may not be able to make the adjustments by ear though, because your amp, like most modern amps, probably doesn't include a phono board, which boosts a signal more than other inputs on an amp. If it doesn't have inputs specifically marked "phono", your amp probably doesn't have one, in which case you need a separate phono preamp between the turntable and the amp. They cost around $50 on up. See if your dad's amp has any inputs marked "phono" before buying the preamp.

Best of luck.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9439

http://www.phonopreamps.com/

"Before attempting to set the cartridge's tracking weight using a gauge and/or a test record, it is best to zero-balance, or "float", the arm with the cartridge affixed. This provides a good reference point from which to begin to increase the tracking weight towards the desired value. The arm/cartridge is floated by moving the arm's counterweight either towards or away from the headshell until the arm reaches a point at which it floats with virtual weightlessness. At this point, the tracking weight of the cartridge is approximately 0 grams and can be set accurately using a gauge like one of those described above.

http://www.audiophilia.com/features/cartridge_setup.htm

I would be a bit concered about the counterweight "falling off". MOst tables aren't shipped with the counterweight installed on the back of the arm as travelling can then damage the }bearings of the arm. If the counterweight was supposed to be installed and it did fall off; where did it land? If it rolled around on the table for the entire trip, it might have damaged the stylus.

Username: Stafford

Post Number: 2
I got a shure tracking weight gauge to set my m97Xe on my denon DP-52F. Shure recommends 1.5g max, but at that weight the cartridge rides too light and skips too much. The lowest I can get the tracking weight adjusted to avoid skipping is 2.0g. Is this a problem I should try to fix? Is the cartridge mismatched to the TT arm? TIA
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us