Starter speakers, but more complicated...

Bronze Member
Username: Ccdoggy

Post Number: 81
I am an aspiring audiophile currently in college. Working with a custom installer i can get some brands at cost, Marantz, nht, arcam, maybe parasound, halcro.

I am slowly collecting $ to get a theater setup goin for myself but for the life of me i cannot decide what to get.

Speakers, I was convinced i wanted a pair of NHT Classic Zeros for the front (ignore rear i got some crappy jbl that i will use there for now). But after testing out some Martin logan electrostatic speakers i am convinced i want some sort of electrostatic speaker. So finally i am lookin at the magneplanar MMGW speakers by Magnepan as they sound great for the price and i love to be different.

Reciever, lookin at a Marantz sr7001 but am unsure at this time exactly what i want.

One thing i do want is to keep the price down, yet still get some good quality stuff that will last a long time.

Thanks allot for any help you can give i do appreciate it.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4799
Steve, how much bass do you need?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
i would definetly be gettin or building a sub. i got a small 8" i could put in for a bit till i can get some more cash to work on building one.

I know the maggies really dont have any bass to them, thats what the sub would be for. I am a self proclaimed bass head so i would be using a sub even if the speakers went down that low.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
anyone?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9458

Magnepans are not electrostatic speakers.

There doesn't seem to be any reason to recommend something that sounds best if you are only looking for something that sounds good for the price you pay. Your installer should be able to provide you with a list of products available at lowered cost. Most separate amps will drive Magnepans. Personally, I wouldn't waste my money buying a receiver to drive Magnepans or Martin Logans.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4859
Steve, if you are aspiring, go find some stereo-heads and hang out at their place.
Listen a lot.
Save your money, then buy something with confidence.

Or do it the old fashioned way, and keep replacing parts and spending twice as much and endure stress and disappointment along the way.
All the while hearing something better elsewhere.

Sign me,

The 'expensive' voice of reason.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us