NAD M3 - Outstanding Amp!

Username: Emotifi

Post Number: 2
Finally got my M3 after nearly 6 months of research and auditions. This was the most difficult component to decide on, in my case, and with my budget. It is every bit as wonderful at home. Stunning sound - rich, warm, detailed, musical, tremendous dynamics, and non fatiguing listening. Its not run in yet, but so far, I could not be any happier. Really hope it doesnt change too much. I dont think its the right sound for everyone, and some may prefer a more clinical sound, but I am still amazed by its ability to handle anything from heavy rock to classical.
The amp gets mostly great reviews, but not everyone is impressed, so I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has had first hand experience with it at home.

Silver Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 237
Nice, may I ask what it set you back?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4788
A far lot less than in Canuckdom, no doubt!

Post Number: 3
Bought within a package of other components and with trade in, so hard isolate. Local price is around US$3k here.
I am still thrilled. Best description was from my son who said the music now gives him a warm feeling inside. I feel the same way. Highly recommend an audition to anyone struggling with selecting an amp in this price bracket.
Probably should have posted this in the integrated amp section.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4803
Go ahead and link there too, Mike. Nobody wants to miss such a happy listener!
What other stuff did you get in the package, MQ, and what did you trade?
Huh, huh?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4804
Also, I always fear that the next generation will be mp3 gagged. Bravo for sharing real music with your son.

Post Number: 5
Nuck - Azur 640V2 and Helicon 400. Traded Mission/Rotel gear. Again, highly recommend this combo for an audition.

Username: Hesson11

Jacksonville, FL United States

Post Number: 1
Hi Mike,

Congrats on your new gear! I'm very interested in the M3 because it has tone and spectral tilt control similar to my Quad 66 preamp. I'd like to simplify my system, but I've got to have that tilt control! So I was wondering if you've experimented with the audible effects of the tilt and tone controls of the M3.

The reason I ask is that the M3 is reviewed in the new issue of Stereophile (Jan. 2007). While the overall review is extremely favorable, when JA tested it, he found that the tilt and tone controls simply don't work at all volume levels. I'll post his findings below, but I sure would appreciate your comments if you've played with the tone/tile controls at all. I don't know whether Stereophile may have gotten a faulty unit (there was no manufacturer's reply from NAD). THANKS very much.
-Bob

According to JA: "Measuring the effect of the tone controls was initially problematic: Instead of the specified +/-5dB of response variation, I obtained just a tenth of that fiture. It turned out that the effect of these controls is affected by the volume-control setting. At '-10.0db," you get the full effect of the controls when set to their maximum and minimum positions..But with the control set to '0.0dB," the maximum boost and cut drops to 0.5dB...And with the volume control set to its maximum, '+10.0dB,' the tone controls have no effect at all. The situation was similar with the tilt control, though the maximum amount of response modification is +/-3dB. Contrary to what I expected, setting the tilt positive, to "+3dB" rolled off the highs and boosted the bass, and vice versa."

Post Number: 6
Hi Robert,
I'm sorry - I haven't tried any of the tone controls. In fact I made sure they were bipassed in all my investigations, and since buying, have never felt the need to use tone or tilt. I would have been equally happy without this feature, but following your post, I am a little curious. I do want to get the Stereophile review when it comes out here, and compare their opinion with mine. Most opinions are excellent, but not all, so I am pleased to hear the support for this outstanding amp is growing! I wonder if NAD designed the tilt to be most effective at low volume like the old fashioned 'loudness' button? or perhaps to protect the amp or the speakers in some way? I have no use for the feature, but will try it out and let you know.

Post Number: 7
Robert,
Had a quick check without digging out the manual. I'm sure the neighbors will love me. Results :
Treble and Bass adjustable by up to +/-5dB at all volumes.
Tilt udjusts both Treble and Bass at the same time in opposite directions by up to +/-3dB at all volumes.
+ve in tilt adjusts base up and treble down and vice versa.
Hope this helps. Scary experiment at very high volumes. I will send your apologies to my neighbors :-)

Username: Hesson11

Jacksonville, FL United States

Post Number: 2
I really appreciate that, Mike. The high volume levels are where Stereophile found the problems. But it sounds like they work for you, regardless of volume setting. Wierd. I'll be curious to see if NAD addresses this in the next issue's manufacturer's comment section (there was no response from them in the current issue).

I couldn't live without the tilt control of my Quad preamp. I listen to classical music, and I have many recordings that are either too muddy or too bright on my system. The tilt control usually fixes things up quite nicely. If you run into some recordings that don't mesh with your system, you might want to play around with the controls a bit. They really do a lot of good without doing much harm.

BTW, I think you'll be gratified to read that the Stereophile review shares your high opinion of the M3. TAS loved it, too. It made Editor's Choice.

Thanks again. And thank your neighbors.
-Bob
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us