Did I get the right speakers?

I just recently bought a Rotel RMB 1075 amp and a Rotell RSP-1066 preamp. I have a Velodyne CHT 15- sub which seems to be great to me, alot better than a similarly priced B&M I tried. My main concern is the mains I bought, Klipsch RF-3's. I really like them at first but.... I blew a tweet in one and a driver in the other. While I was waiting for them to get fixed I hooked up some $20 3 way 8" yamaha speakers that I was using for rears. They were almost as loud and the sound quality wasn't really all that far off. I definetly don't hear $480 a piece difference in the speakers. Do you really pay that much for the extra quality? Do I have the wrong speakers for me maybe? I use them as mains for my hometheater but most importantly I just need LOUD and clear rock such as Godsmack, Rob Zombie, and Metallica. I have 1 year to turn them in for full value as long as I spend double, so my new speakers would have to go for around 1k a piece. Any suggestions on my purchase of the RF-3's or idea's for my next set would be appreciated.

If your RF3s were very new and blew I would say that they probably need to warm up a bit more before cranking. But even if they were properly broken in before cranking them up. If you have the chance to upgrade them you will do much better with the RF5s. The bracings in them make the cabinet stiffer and it will give you better bass response. It is only slightly more sensitive. In either case I would set your front speakers to small and crossover at 40 Hz. This will make the amp more efficient by not having to push the hardest frequencies and make the speaker easier to drive. If you havent already crossed over the sub at about 50 Hz I would also do that. As far as matching Yamaha speakers up to Klipsch I have never heard a similarity but I have only heard later model Yamahas. Maybe you have an exceptional pair. If volume is more important than sound quality look into DCMs or Vegas.

So could my amp be part of the problem too?

OK, any answers to the above are appreciated. I've tried setting the RF=3's to small settings and it just doesnt sound as good to me for music, doesnt' faze HT though. Like I said, I have 1 yr to get my 1040ish dollars back for full value in trade-in, if I spend double. That's only on new speakers what should I get next? I want loud! I am a newbie however, I know nothing about home audio yet really. Is my amp good enough to power better speakers? It works just fine for movies for me, although I have to turn the sub volume a bit down so it doesn't shake the floor during the wrong parts of a movie. However it works just perfect it I'm listening to almost max the sub/mains seem to work just right, listening in 2 channel and sub level.

You have a great amplifier it will be fine. Make sure that you changed the crossover at 40Hz for the front speakers before judging sound and see if they play louder with the adjustment. If not to your liking go ahead and upgrade to the RF-7s. I think they just about double the price of the RF-3s. They will sound great with your amp and even better if you get a more powerfull amp. For the ultimate you could bi-amp using you amp for the highs and something even more powerfull for the bass.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us