Advice please

Username: Jonmyles

Post Number: 1
Hi,
I've returned to the hi-fi path after many years away. After buying a basic budget system I'm now trying to upgrade. I've just added a pair of Quad 12Ls (discounted at great price and I love them) to my Cambridge C640C V2 and NAD 3020BEE. Cables are Van Den Hul Clearwater and Name interconnect. I now reckon I should be looking at a better amp. Tempted by the Naim Nait 5i because of its reviews and ability to grab speakers but are their others I should look at?
Listen to loads of various music '" jazz, rock, indie, Irish traditional etc. etc.
Basically, since buying the Quads I've been raiding my CD collection and playing loads of stuff I'd never previously listened to because the sound quality has improved so much. I think perhaps a new amp could add some more to this mix.
Sorry this is a bit long but I'm new and looking for advice. Should I go for the Nait or maybe Cyrus or look for something with more power at similar price?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3678
What is it that you want to hear in your music that you feel is lacking now? Once you answer that perhaps we will have some direction.

The Naim is a fabulous amp but then again there are a bunch of great sounding integrateds out there and it just depends on what you want from your music which one is right for you.

Post Number: 2
Hi Art,

Thanks for the reply.
I'm looking for a bit more depth and clarity to the sound as well as added rhythmic drive. Not sure if I can get all three at once '" but I'm just conscious there's more available from the speakers than I'm getting. If I'm going to prioritise I'd say at times the sound doesn't hang together totally and I reckon a better amp might bring this for me.

Bronze Member
Username: The13thgryphon

Spokane, WA USA

Post Number: 22
Jonathan,

If you're looking for clarity and depth of sound, added rhythmic drive, and getting the sound to "hang together" then the Naim Nait 5i is an excellent choice. Clarity, soundstage depth, drive, and PRaT (Pace, Rhythm, and Timing) are what Naim is all about.

However, there are some althernatives that I believe to be equally good. Rega is one of them... and Rega makes some integrated amps that are significantly less expensive than the Naim.

I recently purchased a pair of Quad 21L's for my 2-channel den system. They are the "big brothers" of your 12L's. Same tweeter, same woofer/mid, just a larger cabinet. Wow! Do they ever sound fantastic with good electronics to feed them.

I listened to these speakers with both Naim and Rega gear, and I was very impressed with both lines. I liked the Cursa 3 / Maia 3 combination -- which costs more than the Naim 5i's $1,400 -- even better than the Naim... and I liked the Mira 3 -- which costs $400 less than the Naim -- nearly as well. Rega even makes an integrated amp called the Brio 3 for half the price of the Naim. I won't tell you that it is as good, it isn't. However, it's a cracker of an amp for the price, and it too is about clarity, drive, and PRaT.

Personally, I'm leaning toward the Cursa 3 / Maia 3 combo, and will pick it up if my Tax Return is significant. If, however, Uncle Sam is stingy, then I could easily live with the Mira 3.

Good hunting!

Post Number: 3
Hi John,

Thanks for that reply. Good to get an opinion from someone who's using similar speakers.
I think the Quads are fantastic for the price and want the PRaT element you're talking about.
Hadn't considered the Rega range but I'm now going to have a listen.
The Mira 3 is available for £598 ($1,134) over here compared to £699 ($1,326) for the Naim.
Only difficult thing is finding somewhere tthat stocks them both -- which is unlikely as Naim dealerships are pretty thin on the ground and most don't do Rega as well.
But from what you're saying the Rega could be a relative bargain.

Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how I go on.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us